changing battery in iMac G3 400DV

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My clock one day reverted back to 1969. It hasnt done it since but isnt this a sign that the battery is dying?

How hard is it to change the battery in the iMac G3 400DV? Can I do it myself or do I need to bring it in? Thanks...............

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    You can do it yourself...

Easy as pie...

If you run a search on this topic you will find a thread like it with all the info you need...
  • Reply 2 of 6
  • Reply 3 of 6
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...t=pram+battery

I did the search for you...

Thank you my fine friend. Ill go check it out now..................
  • Reply 4 of 6
    One other question though. He said he opened the case, but the only part of the iMac that opens is where the memory is. Or do I have to take off the bottom plate (I assume theres a bottom plate)? I guess I should just take a look myself! Am I a lazy sot or what?............................................
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Turn the iMac upside-down and then take the bottom case off. You need a philips head for the job...

The first plastic plate comes off with little effort but there is a metal plate under it (with like ~6 screws) that you also need to remove. After that you will be looking at your iMac's Motherboard. On the Motherboard you will see the battery incased in a plastic cuble-like housing... replace the battery, and put the case back on.

Note: Ground yourself before you work on the iMac... you can do this by touching something metal (like the iMac's metal internal frame) or by using a static wrist band.

Good luck.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Turn the iMac upside-down and then take the bottom case off. You need a philips head for the job...

The first plastic plate comes off with little effort but there is a metal plate under it (with like ~6 screws) that you also need to remove. After that you will be looking at your iMac's Motherboard. On the Motherboard you will see the battery incased in a plastic cuble-like housing... replace the battery, and put the case back on.

Note: Ground yourself before you work on the iMac... you can do this by touching something metal (like the iMac's metal internal frame) or by using a static wrist band.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for the info. While its upside down I may swap out the RAM I bought for it recently. Its PNY, but the speed is 3-2-2, and the chip the iMac came with is 2-2-2. I think smalldog electronics has the best RAM prices out there right now. I tried crucial and ramseeker but they wanted another 20 bucks or so for a 256 Mb PC100...........................