CBS and Super Bowl Ads

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Many of you know that Moveon.org sponsored an anti-Bush ad contest, the winner to be shown during the Super Bowl. Well, turns out that CBS has rejected Moveon.org's money, saying that they will not run issue pieces. They also rejected a PETA ad using scantily clad women to sell vegetarianism, for the same reason.

Interestingly, the drug war apparently doesn't count as an issue, because the White House ONDCP is again running several million dollars worth of ads. Those were the ads that last year equated buying pot with supporting the 9/11 hijackers. Yeah.

Damn liberal media.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

[snip]

Damn liberal media.

Yes it is. Too bad to.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

Damn liberal media.

The media likes to take a CYA stance on stuff like this... Wow, what a surprise.

Same goes for PETA, pro-life, pro-capital punishment, and any other propaganda.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Bring on the budweiser twins! woooo!!!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nwhysee

Bring on the budweiser twins! woooo!!!

The twins were Coors. Worst commercials ever.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    I think Terry Tate is coming back!!! Greatest ads ever.

"YOU WANT TO PLAY GAMES G?! WEll TERRY'S BACK AND I'VE GOT A NEW GAME FOR YOU. IT'S CALLED HOW MUCH PAIN CAN G STAND BEFORE G LEARNS NOT TO PLAY GAMES ANYMORE?! THAT'S MINE GAME, THAT'S TERRY'S GAME AND WHEN IT'S GAME TIME IT'S TERRY'S TIME!"
  • Reply 6 of 13
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    CBS sucks, the Superbowl sucks (usually) and nowadays even the ads suck, generally. Why break with tradition and put something intelligent on during the commercial breaks?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I think CBS ought to run it.

Nick
  • Reply 8 of 13
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Which is precisely why they won't. Television producers rarely do anything they *ought* to and instead opt frequently for the things they ought not do. It would be "unpatriotic" to run an ad slamming Bush, and we can't have that. Especially not with the military jet flyovers at kickoff and whatnot. Sort of contradictory if you know what I mean...

• Reply 9 of 13
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    has anyone looked at cbs' primetime lineup recently? do they have a single top 10 show anymore? it's like the network for people too old to get up, find the remote and change the channel.

i used to watch cbs when i was a little kid, but now it seems devoid of ANYthing of interest. maybe 60 minutes, but i can't watch that show and immediately feel like i'm too young to be watching it (maybe a leftover hangup from my youth and my parents watching it all the time).

anyway, if cbs had ANY sense, they would realize that the bushin30seconds spots might be just what they need to get people to actually have some interest in them again. or start airing the "club for growth" ads. or have david blaine explode on national tv. ANYthing more than desperately clinging to becker, as if it will suddenly hatch into "frasier" if they sit on it long enough.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

has anyone looked at cbs' primetime lineup recently? do they have a single top 10 show anymore? it's like the network for people too old to get up, find the remote and change the channel.

i used to watch cbs when i was a little kid, but now it seems devoid of ANYthing of interest. maybe 60 minutes, but i can't watch that show and immediately feel like i'm too young to be watching it (maybe a leftover hangup from my youth and my parents watching it all the time).

anyway, if cbs had ANY sense, they would realize that the bushin30seconds spots might be just what they need to get people to actually have some interest in them again. or start airing the "club for growth" ads. or have david blaine explode on national tv. ANYthing more than desperately clinging to becker, as if it will suddenly hatch into "frasier" if they sit on it long enough.

Actually it seems like the NBC shows that have been on forever. Shows like ER, Friends and Frasier all jumped the shark years ago.

I watch CBS on Thursdays because I watch Survivor and sometimes can sit through a second whole hour of television and watch CSI with my wife. So I guess I only know the Thursday to Thursday comparison.

But it seems there is nothing new or of interest on any of the channels.

Nick
  • Reply 11 of 13
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Actually it seems like the NBC shows that have been on forever. Shows like ER, Friends and Frasier all jumped the shark years ago.

I watch CBS on Thursdays because I watch Survivor and sometimes can sit through a second whole hour of television and watch CSI with my wife. So I guess I only know the Thursday to Thursday comparison.

But it seems there is nothing new or of interest on any of the channels.

Nick

hmmm... i forgot about CSI... i have never watched it, but it must have some merit if they keep releasing new versions of it every year (next season: CSI: Des Moines!) I've also never watched Friends for more than an episode per season (same was true for Seinfeld), and from what i have heard it's gone into autopilot until the end of the season/series now. but someone has to end the reality-show craze, or just start up a network for them and shove them all there so i can avoid them altogether.

in a weird way, the WB actually reminds me of where fox was back in the early days. different shows, small but loyal following, and a growing number of local carriers. wouldn't be surprised to see the granddaddy of them all, CBS, get shoved to the periphery in 5 to 10 years, no matter how much money they have behind them.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

hmmm... i forgot about CSI... i have never watched it, but it must have some merit if they keep releasing new versions of it every year (next season: CSI: Des Moines!) I've also never watched Friends for more than an episode per season (same was true for Seinfeld), and from what i have heard it's gone into autopilot until the end of the season/series now. but someone has to end the reality-show craze, or just start up a network for them and shove them all there so i can avoid them altogether.

in a weird way, the WB actually reminds me of where fox was back in the early days. different shows, small but loyal following, and a growing number of local carriers. wouldn't be surprised to see the granddaddy of them all, CBS, get shoved to the periphery in 5 to 10 years, no matter how much money they have behind them.

I doubt that. CBS is owned by Viacomm which is quite large.

Nick
  • Reply 13 of 13
    CSI is a good show. I watch it a lot, and I believe it is still the #1 ranked TV drama. CSI: Miami is also pretty good, but I like the characters on the original better. I don't watch anything else on CBS. Of course that doesn't say much because the only other show I watch at all on a regular basis is The Simpsons ("Best show, evar") It's on 3 times a day M-F on Philly's FOX station, plus new ones on Sundays.