SONY GDM-FW900 24" CRT vs Apple 22" Cinema LCD display

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Sony's GDM-FW900 24" 16:10 CRT costs $1999 US

Apple's 22" Cinema Display costs $2499 US

Basically they have the indentical viewable area

Both support the same 1600x1024 resolution

IF you're in the market to look for a new display which one you would go for?

Me. I will go for SONY even it's heavy like hell compare to ACD.

Reasons:

1) SONY's display's built in "KVM" feature allows two computers to share one monitor, keyboard and mouse. No way to do this with ACD.

2) Warranty. Sony's 3 year vs Apple's 1 year

3) Cost of repair. LCD is MUCH more expensive

4) Cheaper

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    we have a mix of the sony fw900s and the cinema displays. the sonys have been really really problematic in that they start to get very fuzzy over time and they are randomly incompatible with some g4s, and fine with others. every single one of ours is out of focus, and can't be fixed. go with the apple. it doesn't have as high a res, but you'll appreciate the extra deskspace. i also suggest you go over to mike's xlr8 page (he has an entire page on the problems of the sony fw900) and post this question in his forums for input from a far more professional user group. you may want to check out the indesign forums at adobe, there was a long discussion about the cinema for design work. everyone loves it.

[ 03-04-2002: Message edited by: typedesigner ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Uh, I don't know where you got that price for the Sony since I have seen it a lot cheaper than $1999 US. Also the resolution is a lot than that Cinema Display.2304 x 1440 vs. 1600 x 1200. The Sony is one sweet monitor. Trust me if I had that kinda cash I'd get it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    cinema display is sweeter and with a new computer cinema display= 1999
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I agree with what was said earlier. I've used a few of those Sony displays, including the ones that SGI put out. When I was a Flame operator at Turner, we had one hooked up to our Onyx. It was always a little out of focus. At the time it was gorgeous... but we went through about three of them during my time there.

And the downside with the CRT are the large footprint, the *weight*, the abnormal amount you're going to pay to get the thing shipped to you, the flicker (which gives me a headache even at the higher refresh rates), the blurring of the tube over time, the added heat it will put out, and the additional power the thing will take.

With the Cinema Display, it's lighter, it's flatter, it's flicker free, it puts out less heat, it won't have to be shipped freight, has a much smaller footprint, and it isn't going to blur over time. In fact, the only thing you should have to replace on an LCD over time (unless something else goes wrong) is the backlight. You mention repair costs, but honestly, I've owned and worked with a lot of LCD displays for all of the aforementioned reasons, and I don't recall having to get one repaired yet. On the other hand, half of the CRT displays I've owned have been sent out for repair.

But I guess whatever makes you happy. That Sony CRT isn't the Urantia of a display that you give it credit to be...