Small square motherboard?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Via http://croquer.free.fr/

"Apple has a prototype of a very small, square motherboard.

The motherboard has a bulky heatsink on the chip set and two memory slots.

What product will use this motherboard?"



If real, much depends on the completely speculative size of the motherboard.

I suppose this means the G5 Cube frothing can start, once again.

And the G5 PB foaming.



If it's tiny, bring on the G5 PDA/Newton thrashing.

If it's minute, let's give a warm welcome to G5 iPod delusional raving.



I'm sure someone with better French and English skills can do a better translation, BTW.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 18
    Just the thing to go in the base of my Macintosh Pyramid.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Sounds like the G5 iMac to me. The cube's motherboard was not rectangular. It was, well, a cube. The iMac motherboards have always been small, flat, and had two RAM slots. I won't be a bit surprised if the new iMac is cube-like.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    G5 iMac. It could be no other, save an eMac... but the iMac needs the Mobo upgrade more than the eMac.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,695member
    That wasn't even the most intersting thing on that page. The rumor about the new G5 PowerMac case was more intersting. If true, the facility to install XServe drive modules could turn the G5 into an awesome workstation.



    But thanks for the link, some interesting stuff there.



    Dave







    Quote:

    Originally posted by shawk

    Via http://croquer.free.fr/

    "Apple has a prototype of a very small, square motherboard.

    The motherboard has a bulky heatsink on the chip set and two memory slots.

    What product will use this motherboard?"



    If real, much depends on the completely speculative size of the motherboard.

    I suppose this means the G5 Cube frothing can start, once again.

    And the G5 PB foaming.



    If it's tiny, bring on the G5 PDA/Newton thrashing.

    If it's minute, let's give a warm welcome to G5 iPod delusional raving.



    I'm sure someone with better French and English skills can do a better translation, BTW.




  • Reply 5 of 18
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Michael Wilkie

    ... The cube's motherboard was not rectangular. It was, well, a cube...



    Of course, you mean a square. I don't think the Cube is coming back; this is more likely to be Aphelion's modular iMac. There was no mention of a video card slot; of course it is illogical to conjecture based on what is not mentioned. Two memory slots sounds like an iMac too (the Cube has three, and would have had four if there had been room).
  • Reply 6 of 18
    m.o.s.tm.o.s.t Posts: 255member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by shawk

    Via http://croquer.free.fr/

    "Apple has a prototype of a very small, square motherboard.

    The motherboard has a bulky heatsink on the chip set and two memory slots.

    What product will use this motherboard?"



    If real, much depends on the completely speculative size of the motherboard.

    I suppose this means the G5 Cube frothing can start, once again.

    And the G5 PB foaming.



    If it's tiny, bring on the G5 PDA/Newton thrashing.

    If it's minute, let's give a warm welcome to G5 iPod delusional raving.



    I'm sure someone with better French and English skills can do a better translation, BTW.






    iBox ????
  • Reply 7 of 18
    nr9nr9 Posts: 182member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by cubist

    Of course, you mean a square. I don't think the Cube is coming back; this is more likely to be Aphelion's modular iMac. There was no mention of a video card slot; of course it is illogical to conjecture based on what is not mentioned. Two memory slots sounds like an iMac too (the Cube has three, and would have had four if there had been room).



    he means a cube.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Nr9

    he means a cube.



    If so, he's wrong. I have a cube, and the motherboard is not a cube. Duh.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    I rather like the idea of a pyramid for the "modular Macintosh" but I'll gladly take another Cube to go with the Cube I currently own.



    Regardless of it's form factor, a replacement for the current iMac must be on it's way. I can only hope that they take the occasion of their 20th to really offer something "insanely great".
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Here's another take on what the "small square motherboard" might be at MacOPINION "Apple's Future".



    Quote:

    Cheaper G5s -- iMac and eMac class machines -- could share a common platform with notebooks, with a less aggressive overall architecture, designed to minimize power (a cost factor, as well as relating to battery life) and cost. The main difference between the notebook and desktop models will become compact DIMMS and disks, rather than logic board design, which should result in better economies of scale.



    This is something I have advocated in other threads here, and might just be related to this rumored "small square motherboard"
  • Reply 11 of 18
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    I think that site is full of BS. I cannot imagine Apple telling in front of some their resellers they are going to show their biggest reseller how selling Apple computers is done.



    Or am I that naive ?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Aphelion

    Here's another take on what the "small square motherboard" might be at MacOPINION "Apple's Future".



    Back to the future: The first iMac was basically a MainStreet PowerBook stuffed under a CRT.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    And it was a runaway best seller for Apple. Seems like it's time for History to repeat itself.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    That site is so bogus. I think Kormac76 is running it.





    "I'm making plastics now"
  • Reply 15 of 18
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    lol, is Kormac even alive anymore?



    Come on G5 iMac!
  • Reply 16 of 18
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Amorph

    Back to the future: The first iMac was basically a MainStreet PowerBook stuffed under a CRT.



    Excellent point. Apple is so good at marketing "NEW" products that most people didn't even notice the similarities.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Aha, so that's why the SO-DIMM and funny CD-ROM drive! I always wondered about that. When I opened mine up I was amazed at the compact circuitry squinched into such a small area of such a huge case.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    When I opened up an iMac I wondered about the "Not a serial port" warning on the infrared port's connector. They weren't lying.



    Note: bulky heatsinks don't go well with PowerBooks (unless they plan on using the case/user as a heatsink).
Sign In or Register to comment.