Emergency! Unbootable PowerBook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a PowerBook 550mhz, Running 10.2.8. I have 1gig of ram loaded. Computer was running fine I was at the Apple Quicktime site watching a trailer for some movie. Computer froze and the trailer froze except the audio started repeating the last half second of audio over and over. My mouse would not move and no keys would respond. Could not do apple-option-esc to force quit the application. The screen did not gray out like a kernel panic. The computer just kept playing that audio snippet over and over. I held down the power button to force a shutdown. The computer will not boot now. It makes it to the gray splash screen with the apple logo but then I get a kernel panic type screen that tells me:

unresolved kernel trap(c 0

I tried to boot into single user mode and run fsck but I get the same message.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I think I might die if I have to keep using my wifes Dell.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by chilleymac

I have a PowerBook 550mhz, Running 10.2.8. I have 1gig of ram loaded. Computer was running fine I was at the Apple Quicktime site watching a trailer for some movie. Computer froze and the trailer froze except the audio started repeating the last half second of audio over and over. My mouse would not move and no keys would respond. Could not do apple-option-esc to force quit the application. The screen did not gray out like a kernel panic. The computer just kept playing that audio snippet over and over. I held down the power button to force a shutdown. The computer will not boot now. It makes it to the gray splash screen with the apple logo but then I get a kernel panic type screen that tells me:

unresolved kernel trap(c 0

I tried to boot into single user mode and run fsck but I get the same message.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I think I might die if I have to keep using my wifes Dell.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

if you have another mac with FW you can probably run target disk mode and try to repair it, and/or back up your data to it, and then if that doesn't work, either try using norton or techtool or sumthing like that, or use the os x disks to boot up from and try a reinstall
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I would try to boot from the CD. I would also run the Apple Hardware test CD that came with your powerbook just to be safe.

Good luck\
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Problem solved... I had bad ram. I did not get the three tone beep until this morning though.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by chilleymac

Problem solved... I had bad ram. I did not get the three tone beep until this morning though.

well that's good