Difficult NAT Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

I am currently trying to bypass the NAT on my Lynksys router while maintaining network connection. Is there any way to do this?

Thank You,

Matt

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Matt-

I actually just wrote this up for someone else, so I'm pasteing it here for you. Enjoy

1. On the main page, change the LAN IP address to something else to ensure that it does not interfere with the router you are going to be going off of, such as 192.168.1.2. Once you do that and click apply, you will have change the IP in the browser to reflect those changes and get back in.

2. Log back in using the new IP, click on the Advanced tab, and click on Dynamic Routing. Change it from whatever it's on to whatever it's not on. They're named weirdly, but I think it's from Gateway to Router, but it might be the other way around.

3. Replug the cable from the WAN port on the wireless router (which is now just acting as on access point) to the uplink port, which should be the highest-numbered port if it's not specifically labeled.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I'm a little confused what you're trying to do. If you want to use the router as a switch, just don't use the WAN port. use instead the uplink port. I don't think it actually requires any configuration.

If you're trying to get a computer exposed (not behind the firewall), the DMZ option works. Beware, though, because DMZ causes trouble on certain networks.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    As usual, the solution to NAT problems is to not use NAT.