PayPal any good? (and other online payment services)

zozo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello all,

I'm going to be venturing in a small business that requires online payment. Paypal comes to mind, but is there any drawback? I've looked around and it seems to come on top. Products being sold will be from around 3-30dollars (or more... depending on what I sell).

I read that some people are weary to link PayPal with a bank account but its fine for credit card payments...

Anyway, if anyone can give some alternatives (even more costlier ones) I'm all ears!

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Paypal is ok but it does sting the buyer with a surcharge which you'd have to include in your prices. You can check out world pay which is, in my opinion, a lot more user friendly than paypal. Though you would be better hiring a secure server and using a shopping cart system, www.webfusion.com gives a good service on setting a server up and will do all the work for you if you get stuck.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I use PayPal to receive online payments. At this point, I personally have no real problems with the service. Their usability is excellent. However, I've come across a couple of anti-PayPal sites. One example is www.paypalsucks.com. (read the forums)

I've read that PayPal occasionally freezes suspicious accounts for security purposes. When this happens, I've read that it's a bitch to work with their small customer service department to further prove you identity. I've learned not to leave vast amounts of money IN your PayPal account. I've also learned that it's a good idea to have two personal bank accounts. One account you use to transfer money from your PayPal account and a second that PayPal can not touch. So you transfer money from PayPal, then transfer to your second account that PayPal can't touch if they ever were to concoct that you owe them money.

I don't know about the validity of any PayPal "nightmares". The above is just an FYI and a way to CYA.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Sure there is a drawback. Paypal can for any reason they deem necessary, hold your money or "limit" your account, and never give your money back to you. It happens every day to hundreds of thousands of people! Try a Paypal alternative like this site, and you should be a lot safer. Good luck.