64 Bit Laptop Shipping. It's From eMachines!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Quote:

Mobilemag.com

Monday January 19, 2004 12:19 PM EST

By: Fabrizio Pilato

Everyone imagined Apple Computer would be the first company to offer a 64-bit processor notebook computer, but with no near plans to release a G5 notebook, Apple for once got beat. Today e-Machines began offering the first 64-bit notebook computer using the AMD Athlon 64 processor.

The eMachines M6807 is loaded, with 512MB ram, 60GB HDD, Integrated 802.11g and 10/100Mbps ethernet a massive 8-cell Lithium-ion battery and of course the Athlon 64 3000 processor at 2.000 GHz and 1MB of L2 Cache.

The Athlon 64 uses HyperTransport technology. This was designed by AMD to increase bandwidth and reduce bottlenecks for faster processing speed and seamless multi-tasking on multiple applications.

An average sized 15.4-inch LCD display is powered by ATI's Mobility RADEON 9600 video card, the system offers cinematic visual quality for gaming and other graphics-intensive applications. The display features a 16:10 aspect ratio, and allowing up to 30 percent more DVD viewing area than a standard 15-inch notebook screen.

Of course the only 64-bit operating system right now is linux, it will be impossible to see the benefits until Microsoft releases a 64-bit Windows.

The modestly priced M6807, with a multi-format DVD-RW(+/-) drive, is $1,549 after $100 rebate.

For detailed specs and info on the M6807 check this link. .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    So.....

Voodoo has had a 64 bit laptop for a few months now...

EDIT:

Also it ships with WinXP home/pro so it is in 32 bit mode anyway...
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Also --

They (both voodoo and eM) are not the first to release a 64 bit laptop... Sun had one out a long time ago that was based on their 64 bit Sparc processer... it is so old (and discontinued) that sun has striken it from their website.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Seems like a solid machine. I mean, what else is there to say?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    I'll gladly wait for Apple to fix any potential heat issues with a G5 laptop. I don't know what the heat dispersion rate is on the AMD Athlon processor is, but I know if Apple built a PB G5 with the chips in use now, I would have a cooked delicacy hanging between my legs. I do have to say "E-Machines, pah. Crazy Korean Mobsters."
  • Reply 5 of 15
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

I'll gladly wait for Apple to fix any potential heat issues with a G5 laptop. I don't know what the heat dispersion rate is on the AMD Athlon processor is, but I know if Apple built a PB G5 with the chips in use now, I would have a cooked delicacy hanging between my legs. I do have to say "E-Machines, pah. Crazy Korean Mobsters."

you mean a penis with server burns? I think you mean a penis, not a delicacy, a penis is the word I think you were looking for. Yes, penis with burns of the portion that would be in contact with the hot surface.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

I think you mean a penis, not a delicacy, a penis is the word I think you were looking for.

Ahem

Quote:

From above link:

Brandes's penis was cut off and, according to Meiwes, both men ate it flambéed. Now, this gives rise (heh heh heh) to some thoughts:

I'm not sure what mindset the victim was in at this time, but if *I* had just had my penis cut off, cooked, and served to me, gastronomy wouldn't be the first thing on my mind. Pain control, blood loss and imminent death would pretty much occupy my thoughts, rather spoiling the savoring of the moment.
    Flambéing is a poor way to cook penis, which is primarily spongy tissue, like brain, not connective tissue, like you find in a steak. Flambéing is a fast and relatively cool cooking method, fine for bananas but not for meat. A saute (hot, fast, retains the food's flavor) would be much more appropriate.

• Reply 7 of 15
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

I don't know what the heat dispersion rate is on the AMD Athlon processor is, but I know if Apple built a PB G5 with the chips in use now, I would have a cooked delicacy hanging between my legs.

You wouldn't be the first.

• Reply 8 of 15
    It's not terribly difficult to built a large laptop and dump in a desktop chip. A couple of PC makers do it.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

It's not terribly difficult to built a large laptop and dump in a desktop chip. A couple of PC makers do it.

Yah they call them "desktop replacements" and you get around an hour of battery life if you are lucky. Some have fans that never... turn... off... ... \
  • Reply 10 of 15
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

you mean a penis with server burns?

Thin though it may be, clamping an LCD to the XServe does not a laptop make.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    That would be one loud laptop...
  • Reply 12 of 15
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Also --

They (both voodoo and eM) are not the first to release a 64 bit laptop... Sun had one out a long time ago that was based on their 64 bit Sparc processer... it is so old (and discontinued) that sun has striken it from their website.

Sun may not make them anymore but they are still being made...

Creation 555P and Tadpole Sparcle
  • Reply 13 of 15
    If emachines can offer a dvd burner on their laptop, why can apple offer them as well on the ibook?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Actually that is a mobile version of the AMD64 chip...not a desktop version, and the battery life is decent. AMD developed the chips side by side.

PS who would by a powerbook if ibooks had dvd burners?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

Sun may not make them anymore but they are still being made...

Creation 555P and Tadpole Sparcle

Good find...

I forgot about the sparcle...