Microsoft vs. MikeRoweSoft.com

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Story Here link

Quote:

Microsoft Takes on Teen Over Web Site

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) - Mike Rowe thinks it's funny that his catchy name for a Web site design company sounds a lot like Microsoft.

The software giant, however, is not amused.

``Since my name is Mike Rowe, I thought it would be funny to add 'soft' to the end of it,'' said Rowe, a 17-year-old computer geek and Grade 12 student in Victoria, British Columbia.

Microsoft Corp. and its attorneys have demanded that he give up his domain name, the Vancouver Province newspaper reported Sunday.

Rowe registered the name in August. In November, he received a letter from Microsoft's Canadian lawyers, Smart & Biggar, informing him he was committing copyright infringement.

He was advised to transfer the name to the Redmond, Wash.-based corporation.

``I didn't think they would get all their high-priced lawyers to come after me,'' Rowe said.

He wrote back asking to be compensated for giving up his name. Microsoft's lawyers offered him $10 in U.S. funds. Then he asked for $10,000.

On Thursday, he received a 25-page letter accusing him of trying to force Microsoft into giving him a large settlement.

``I never even thought of getting anything out of them,'' he said, adding that he only asked for the $10,000 because he was ``sort of mad at them for only offering 10 bucks.''

He said family and friends are backing him and a lawyer has offered to advise him for free.

He's also keeping his sense of humor.

``It's not their name. It's my name. I just think it's kind of funny that they'd go after a 17-year-old,'' Rowe said.

Company spokesman Jim Desler said Sunday, ``Microsoft has been in communication with Mr. Rowe in a good faith effort to reach a mutually agreeable resolution. And we remain hopeful we can resolve this issue to everyone's satisfaction.''

www.mikerowesoft.com

EDIT:-

DOHHH can one of the mods please fix the title.. Sorry

Edit Granted

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Copyright infringement?

Is that the same as trademark infringement?

Besides, this case will probably have no merit in Canada.

Seems there was this guy, Mr Mitas, who had a garage called Mitas Discount Mufflers, and the Midas Muffler chain was not impressed. The judge basically said it's his name, and it's kind of hard for a company that operates under a made-up name to force someone into a position where the individual person has to give up the goodwill of his name in his chosen profession. Mitas is still in business, as is a place called McDonald's Family Restaurant which had a similar issue (both are in Toronto), but this McDonald's sells East Indian food.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Over an hour late, and in the WRONG FREAKING FORUM!!!!!

*ahem*

This is more of a general tech topic, so I will gently direct you to the thread already in progress in General Discussion. Have a lovely day.

(Sorry about the Tourette's outburst)