FW800 drives

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am looking to buy a new FW Drive to accompany my laptop, so i decided to check in to a FW 800 drive. I found the following drive - http://www.granitedigital.com/catalo...00casekits.htm .

However at the bottom of the page it says :
Quote:

Please note that FireWire 800 when used with existing 7200rpm drives will not perform at 80MB/s. Current drives are too slow to take advantage of this speed. You can expect to achieve about 50MB/s using the current fastest drives on the market.

Is this true of all FW800 drives? If so, what kind of drive do we need to take advantage of the faster throughput?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Well, I would guess a SCSI drive that would run at 10,000 RPM. I don't think ya could do that tho.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    It's odd that it seems to indicate that the proper drives are of a fictional nature.

is it possible that new SATA drives would be any faster?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    It's true of all the current drives.

Anyway i read a benchmark comparing the same HD in a FW 800 enclosure, and in the computer's case. The result was : same performance.

This was not the case with FW 400, who was 30 % less performant.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

It's true of all the current drives.

Anyway i read a benchmark comparing the same HD in a FW 800 enclosure, and in the computer's case. The result was : same performance.

This was not the case with FW 400, who was 30 % less performant.

So then firewire 800 would be a good way to get desktop drive performance for a laptop....

i think I am going to go ahead and get one to use with my Powerbook.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

So then firewire 800 would be a good way to get desktop drive performance for a laptop....

i think I am going to go ahead and get one to use with my Powerbook.

Exactly