AppleCare on second-hand laptop

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I think this's the right forum for this, and am sure this post will be moved shortly if it isn't.

It looks like I'll be getting a second-hand PowerBook soon. The question is: what do I need to extend the AppleCare on it? It was apparently bought on April 28th last year, so has cover up until that time this year. I then plan to purchase the additional two years' cover, if I can. So what do I need to do this? Just the serial number of the laptop, or purchase documents, ...? Or because the machine will be second hand, will I be unable to get AppleCare?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Peel

I think this's the right forum for this, and am sure this post will be moved shortly if it isn't.

It looks like I'll be getting a second-hand PowerBook soon. The question is: what do I need to extend the AppleCare on it? It was apparently bought on April 28th last year, so has cover up until that time this year. I then plan to purchase the additional two years' cover, if I can. So what do I need to do this? Just the serial number of the laptop, or purchase documents, ...? Or because the machine will be second hand, will I be unable to get AppleCare?

Thanks in advance.

u should still be able to get applecare, i don't know what u need specifically though
  • Reply 2 of 6
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I have been there so I can tell

Basically what you need to do is.....

Before you register the extended apple care.

You have to go to http://register.apple.com

"re-register" the powebook you bought with its serial number and YOUR name, address, etc. Once you register you are ready to go. But don't expect you will get the free gift since you aren't buying new machine

And then you may register the extended apple care plan. And use your name and the serial number of the powerbook (of course).

And......wait for the certificate from Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    You could just buy the AppleCare enrollment kit from the Apple Store. It'll give you the site you need to enroll at and what you need to do. I just recently did this with a 2nd hand iBook without problems. I didn't need any purchase documents at all.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Peel

It was apparently bought on April 28th last year, so has cover up until that time this year. I then plan to purchase the additional two years' cover, if I can.

My advice; do not wait until the current coverage is about to expire. Do it now, or in February, March at the latest. It's easy to put something off, and then something big happens in your life and you miss that two-week window that you set aside. Just my 2 cents...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by fuzz_ball

My advice; do not wait until the current coverage is about to expire. Do it now, or in February, March at the latest. It's easy to put something off, and then something big happens in your life and you miss that two-week window that you set aside. Just my 2 cents...

agreed, when i worked at a computer store as an after skool job, someone wanted applecare, and they had like 1 week before it expired, and we couldn't get them coverage in time
  • Reply 6 of 6
    My problem is a lack of money now - I have about £5 left in the bank atm once the laptop money's gone out... So getting AppleCare is something that's going to have to wait a while for me to get the funds up. Hopefully I'll be able to get my current laptop fixed and sold fairly soon, which'll solve the money problems. Then AppleCare.

Thanks for all the advice.