What to get new(?) G5 SP or G4 DP 1.25 + IPod 15G

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Lots of dreams and fears about what will be released - if anything -

I have an ADC discount and have some questions:

If they release new G5s, wil they drop the price of the 1.8DP G5 and give na ADC discount? or will the discount only be applied to new machines?

If only the new machines, then I am screwed.

B/c - I have about $1500 -

I can use it for a SP machine maybe a 2.0? or G4 1.25 DP + 15G Ipod -

what do you suggest I do - I lean towards the G4 - i prefer the DP - but it's said to be pretty loud in terms of fans.

I don;t do anything major - normal office stuff, some photoshop and writing java code, Listen to music - may need to run VPC.

There's no way i can afford a G5 DP unless the 1.8 drops to less than $2499 AND they still offer the ADC discount -anyone have a good guess?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    If you need to run VPC, you HAVE to get the G4. It won't run on the G5. That said, do you really want to blow your ADC discount on such a small purchase? You should save it for a time you're going to be maxing out your system.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    of course, VPC 7 will run on a G5, and is expected in the next few months.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

If you need to run VPC, you HAVE to get the G4. It won't run on the G5. That said, do you really want to blow your ADC discount on such a small purchase? You should save it for a time you're going to be maxing out your system.

Good point- I can use my Educational Discount for the DP 1.25 for only $100 MORE - and save the DPC

So, I assume you recommend the DP overe the SP 2.whatever G5 ?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    It's a tough call. I don't think I'd buy a G4, but on the other hand... if I were to get a G5, I wouldn't get a single processor. But that's just me. I look for longevity with new purchases. Personally, I'd wait and get a dual 1.8ghz G5 in a couple months when they're bumped.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Was VPC 7 running at macworld? Dummy me I didn't check, but I did check that they were running it on G4's. Seems to me they had plenty of time to order G5's and run the software and choose not to for macworld. That is not the most promising news, but then again, this is just my $0.02. Take with caution and grain of salt. 8)

As for VPC, I had it and it is a poor substitute for a real PC. If you absolutely need to use it than get a G4. I heard dual G4's are also a little faster than a Single G5. But a G5 can be upgraded with newer parts when you need them and will be supported by apple longer. I would also wait to see if some of the rumors about new G5 upgrades turn out to be true. If the specs increase, you could also get 8GB RAM, PCI-X, and a serial ATA for probably the same price. (In case you can't tell, I am leaning towards the G5)
  • Reply 6 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maclamb

Good point- I can use my Educational Discount for the DP 1.25 for only $100 MORE - and save the DPC

So, I assume you recommend the DP overe the SP 2.whatever G5 ?

Maybe I'm missing something, but there is no single processor 2.whatever G5. It's a moot point really. Hell, I'd get the dual 1.8 if I had the money.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Maybe I'm missing something, but there is no single processor 2.whatever G5. It's a moot point really. Hell, I'd get the dual 1.8 if I had the money.

The powermac line will be updated before april. I guess that the slowest machine will be clocked at 2 ghz (remember that the G5 is supposed to reach 3 ghz this year)