A 933Mhz sales call

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I got an interesting phone call this morning from a nice young lady at Apple. I was playing with the "customize a system" screen at the Apple store and left my phone number in the order page just because. I didn't oreder anything cause my wife would have had my head. At 11 am this morning the phone rings and this nice lady offers me the 933Mhz PowerMac I ordered with my grad school discount @ $2161 for $2061. A $100 additional discount on top of the $129 initial discount. Whaddya think about that? Has this happened to anyone else? Should I jump on it or wait until MW Tokyo?

-YAKMAN

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    [quote]Originally posted by YakManDoo:

<strong>I got an interesting phone call this morning from a nice young lady at Apple. I was playing with the "customize a system" screen at the Apple store and left my phone number in the order page just because. I didn't oreder anything cause my wife would have had my head. At 11 am this morning the phone rings and this nice lady offers me the 933Mhz PowerMac I ordered with my grad school discount @ $2161 for $2061. A $100 additional discount on top of the $129 initial discount. Whaddya think about that? Has this happened to anyone else? Should I jump on it or wait until MW Tokyo?

-YAKMAN</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you need a new machine, take it. There's not going to be any new CPUs at MacWorld Tokyo according to Apple, so go for it.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Hmmm, are you sure she wasn't trying to lay a 15" Apple Studio Display on you as well? You get a $100 rebate if you buy those two together.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    No, as is box with no upgrades at all, hundred bucks off. Seems like a sweet ride to me, but as this will be my first mac since 1988...dunno...lots of cash, but this is a good deal right? I did see a refurbed powermac 867mhz in the Apple deal screen for $1700 plus change. Both have a SuperDrive and the same hard disks and refurb don't bother me. The only difference is the CPU and the RAM. Any advice is appreciated.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    If you were thinking about getting a new computer then yeah definately go for it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    [quote]The only difference is the CPU and the RAM<hr></blockquote>

And graphics card too, right? The GF4MX is quite a boost over the 2MX. Not quite a GF3, but a boost nonetheless.

I've also heard that the 933MHz 7455 offers more than just 66MHz over the 7450...if I was getting a PowerMac, the 933 would be my choice. Best bang for the buck in the linup, IMHO. Go for it! $2000 is a lot to drop though, nonetheless. You better check with the wife.