Samsung ML-1710 laser printer toner + delay between pages

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I bought a Samsung ML-1710 this fall and have liked having it in my dorm room. Two kind of minor problems though, thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

1. There's no way I've printed more than 400-500 pages, and already, the toner seems to be extremely week, whether on the toner-save setting or regular printing. Could it just be a bad cartridge? The printer was new when I bought it. I read on a replacement cartrdige that one should last approximately 3000 pages.

2. When printing, there is almost always a long delay between pages. I don't usually print a lot of pages, so it doesn't bother me too much. But, it will pause between two copies of the same page for a minute or two while displaying "Processing print job" or "processing page 1", etc. I'm using Mac OS X 10.2.8 and I have 512 MB of RAM on this Powerbook G4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Was the toner already in the printer with the seal off or did you have to load it yourself?

Have you printed lots of Black pages (would probably require quite a lot to empty the cartridge).

Try shaking the cartridge, if its too humid the toner will stick.

I read a couple of reviews on this printer and they all said it was very fast (17ppm) and very good on toner use.

Bit of a poser really.

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Giving the toner cartridge a shake really worked. Thanks!

Anyone with a tip about the delays between pages when printing?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    What are you printing?

If you are printing a 10 page postscript doc with lots of pics then it will take much longer than 10 page ascii text file.

Check the PPD (printer driver) as well.

Dobby.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

What are you printing?

If you are printing a 10 page postscript doc with lots of pics then it will take much longer than 10 page ascii text file.

Check the PPD (printer driver) as well.

Dobby.

I almost never print anything but short PDF's, word processing stuff, and music from a music notation program. Even for a half page letter from Appleworks (yesterday), it took a over a minute to start.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    The Samsung drivers are kinda crappy. I have a ML-1510 (not much different from 1710), and when I got it, the delays between pages drove me crazy... Thankfully, I found these resources: Gimp-Print and Linux Printing.

Take a look, it made my 1510 work perfect under 10.2. However, I've run into some problems after my 10.3 upgrade where I just can print ONE document, then I have to restart the printer if I want to print more. It's really annoying since it worked so well under Jaguar, and now - the print-jobs don't seem to finnish properly, resulting in a lot of printer reboots.

Hope that this helps you.