The college that pissed me off and its "wonderful" brochure

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A little background about me and this So-Wonderful college.

Seven years ago when I applied to this college (Kwantlen College in Richmond, Canada) for the Graphic Design program. I actually applied twice and got interviewed twice. I will never forget the experience. The staff and interviewers treated me like shit during the interview. They told me I had no talent and my works weren't commercial enough blah blah blah....come on! If my work was commercial enough I wouldn't need to take the program. Total bullsh!t.

Today I went back there by accident (I needed to find a place to pee, I am not kidding) and saw their brochure. I picked one up to see what has changed in the program. And God.....their "wonderful, industry-leading" staff must be sick or something when the brochure went out to print. I caught 30 typos on one side of the brochure!

Also their admission requirement is getting so ridiculously high. Their requirement is even higher than the sole art/design college in Vancouver (Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design). The English requirement is the SAME as for taking Computer Science, Business Administration, Pharmacy in UNIVERSITY! In contrast, Emily Carr isn't very strict on the English requirement, but they are picky on portfolio by the way.

I really can't believe what I saw on the brochure. The typos, the requirement.......are totally out of control and ridiculous.

The leading college in western Canada? Give me a break.

Yeah, they pissed me off in the past and that's why I am so picky on them. Honestly I really want to say "f*ck off" to them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    RISD is always looking for good people.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    My recommendation is that you look for a school that will NOT teach you anything about "commercial' ideas and art even if you want to go into the "industry"

the secret is that what the 'industry' wants is people who have a depth of creative understanding AND can step outside of what the teck/industry/grips and gaffers do

of course you should also find a program that will teach that stuff . .. Maya inside and out and etc . . . but if you want to have any creative control and input into what you do for a living you won't train yourself right into slave key-framer position . . .

its easy for a creative company to find a tech/slave but hard to find someone who knows Maya and whatever other needed program plus also knows about the wide range of contemporary art/culture expressions and has experimented and pushed their own boundaries . . . end even in different media . . . such as drawing and installation or etc

Check out some of the more Fine Arts based programs . . . some of them have alot to offer . . .

also, any place that looks more at portfolio than grades or etc is worth considering . . .
  • Reply 3 of 9
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I NEVER goto MacNN forums. Is Ca$h still there? WTF cares?

So out of nowhere I go and find this

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?threadid=198315

I don't know why but it bugs me.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I guess they are too l33t to teach how to use spell check.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I NEVER goto MacNN forums. Is Ca$h still there? WTF cares?

So out of nowhere I go and find this

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?threadid=198315

I don't know why but it bugs me.

There are more people from Western Canada in the MacNN forum than so in AppleInsider. I have to make a duplicate post there to share with the Vancouverites.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I'd never trust a school of design when they critique a work as not being "commercial" enough. I've never heard that kind of thinking in academia before. Sounds more like VoTech than art education.

[edit: can my spelling be any worse today? Oh, the irony.]
  • Reply 7 of 9
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Send Todd Bertuzzi over there with a "special message" for the director.

I forget: what's the proper art term for "cross check"?

• Reply 8 of 9
    looks like all the errors in that document are "R" Kerning problems

Vancouver is home to numerous design programs, some very poor and fly-by-night,

some overpriced and taught by recent grads rather than actual industry professionals (usually a bad sign).

ECIAD is a strange case, because it's partly Federal (Granville Island is federal land).

Check PPSEC.bc.ca website for lists of accredited schools and the BBB to see which schools have had grievances filed against them.

VFS has had an up and down reputation over the years, depending on who you talk to and which program.

CDIS / Art Institute of Vancouver have had similar issues at various times.

If you're serious about doing 3D animation (for games or film),

call Electronic Arts or Mainframe and ask who they recommend.

Both places are more interested in seeing your reel than papers on your wall or letters after your name.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

I forget: what's the proper art term for "cross check"?

"Cross hatching"