Can I get THX surround on my Mac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
As far as I know the best available sound card for the Mac is creatives SoundBlaster Mac Live, or whatever it is. Is there anything better? It's pretty much dead tech if you sak me. I'm looking for THX, but DTS 5.1 will do. Is there anyone else that makes sound cards for the Mac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    enderender Posts: 353member
    Actually, THX isn't a surround sound format. It is just a mark of quality in speaker systems.

There are currently no worthy surround sound options for the Mac.

-Ender
  • Reply 2 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Actualy, the only differance between THX, and DTS is THX add's a rear "surround" channel to DTS.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by onlooker:

<strong>Actualy, the only differance between THX, and DTS is THX add's a rear "surround" channel to DTS.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, THX is not a surround sound format. It's a quality of sound measurement or mark. It's basically a certification.

DTS EX (DTS 6.1) adds the rear surround channel.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I never said THX was a surround sound format.

I don't want to argue, but I recall reading the rear center channel must be a surround channel to be THX Ultra cetified. DTS EX didn't exist in a home system when I bought mine. So I have somewhat out dated DTS knowledge.

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: onlooker ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 7
    You might want to look at some of the outboard USB options, such as eMagic. Those that have optical out (eg sp/dif) can feed your surround system's decoder. Speaker systems with the decoder logic are available if you don't have a component system w/ decoder.

One advantage of the outboard approach is that it gets the DA conversion out of the EM storm inside the box. It also gives you flexibility later in changing components. See for example this expert guru's "road system":

<a href="http://www.apple.com/creative/musicaudio/surroundtour/"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/creative/musicaudio/surroundtour/</a>;
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ...and a bit more: the local Apple Store in Palo Alto carries the Eiderol UA-3D usb audio box for $149. You get stereo RCA in out and S/Pdif optical in out, plus plus a headphone jack I think. You should be able to run a dolby digital or DTS 5.1 or an EX (thx) w/the sixth pseudo channel through it fine. It doesn't have the decoder in it (nor does the eMusic), but it will pass the multi channel digital signal on to your surround-enabled speaker system. Even the latest Soundblaster (pc) products are moving to an external box.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member