iMac experience by PC user

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
this is my first mac and would like to share my experience and some advice needed please.

new iMac delivered on 6/3 (ordered on 26/2 and apple store said shipment could be end march), wow, what a surprise!

Setup: so easy, like a TV, or VCR! Was quite worried about it cause no one around me use Mac, I could get no help except online from you guys

Osx and software: user friendly, I have lots of worries about it previously, still need more time to explore the OS X world. can osX and os 9 run at the same time? and newlook has osX version ?

Speaker: sounds good and clear enough despite the sounds blurred above 70 or 80% volume, may get an iSub later on to enhance after reading some reviews here.

Internet setup: I never thought it’s that easy, I use broadband and dial up, the set up in my PC was troublesome,

noise:the superdrive was quite noisy when running, the fan was acceptable, have to get so close to hear it.

keybroad: solid feel, great.

mouse: never use one click mouse before, does it support 2 click mouse like PC?

Iphoto: good….just plug in my Sony P1 ( I hated the driver installation in the PC), but when I finished download pics, I turned off my P1, a message pop up saying I may lost data, why……. Should I disconnect the usb first? Help please.

Dvd player: when I view in full screen, I notice some ‘tail’ images, I thought this have been resolved in LCD display, any advice please.

Mail: I can download the emails from the provider, but when I use my PC (outlook), the same emails were received. Why is that???

Haven’t try imovie, idvd yet.

May post my setup here later.

this is for now, still busy transferring file from my PC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    congrats!...the one button mouse does support right click functionality, hold ctrl button and then click...OSX and 9 can run at the same time, I run both always(just my preference...what i would do is put the startup disk on your os9 desktop so that if you do have to reboot into os 9 it is a lot easier to get back to X. As for iphoto, you can choose to have the program automatically delete your pictures from your camera. usually best choice, once you are done transferring and deleting you can just unplug your usb and turn off camera, I have done in either order and have no probs. can't help on tail images..sorry. The e-mails get sent to the client and are held there, when your computer checks for e-mail it goes to the client and compares itself with the client not your other computer, so if you do not delete you e-mails from the client by "emptying deleted messages" then all computers will have the e-mails because they have not been deleted from the client(your web server). Hope some of this helps, if any info is wrong; someone please correct me.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Congrats dude. You can use a 2 button mouse, as long as it is USB, naturally... Welcome to the wide (awesome) world of Macintosh!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Well, I'll try to help as best I can.

First things first: When you plug in your camera, it mounts it as a USB disk drive. You have to unmount it before you unplug it or you'll get that message. To do that: go to the finder, find your disk (it should be called "Unlabeled" if your sony is like my p30). Click on it once and then press apple+e to eject it. Or you can add an eject button to your toolbar and do it that way. You can use the camera in what is called PTP mode and it won't mount it as a disk in the finder and you may be able to avoid that problem. (See your camera's manual for how to do that.)

Second: Mail.

If you are using the Mail app that came with OS X, chances are you haven't changed the default settings. Under the preferences for Mail, (pick Mail in the menubar and then preferences) there will be your email accounts displayed. Pick the one you want to change and hit "edit". From there there will be 2 tabs. Select the one that says "account options". There is an option that says "delete messages after downloading." If you check that box, your messages will not be duplicated on your pc when you check mail there. (I like to have it leave them there because I just use Mail to check my mail and another program to actually keep them on my computer, but that's a personal preference.)

Third: OS X and OS 9. You can't literally have them both running at the same time. You can have OS 9 running in classic mode for older, non-OS X ready programs. I don't use classic unless I need to sync my newton. All other times I have it off. My bet is that most, if not all, of your programs will work in OS X natively since you just got your first mac. However, if you feel the compelling urge to have 1.04 gigs of your VM mapped out to classic you can choose to have it start at login. Go to system preferences (under the apple menu, system preferences) and choose the classic preference pane. Check the "launch classic at startup" and you're good to go.

My recommendations are these: don't use OS 9. Just get used to doing things the OS X way since you're learning for the first time. Learn to explore the system and use the column-view in the finder. And Have fun. If you don't, I'll come over to your house and make sure that the iMac is put to good use
  • Reply 4 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It depends on the e-mail account you are using.

If you're using a POP e-mail account with Apple Mail, its default settings do not delete the mail from the server after downloading. If you want to delete mail from your server, got to Mail --> Preferences... --> Accounts and select the an account from the list. Then hit Edit and switch to the Account Options tab. Check the box that says Delete messages on server after downloading.

If you are using a Mac.com email account, things are a little different. Mac.com accounts default to a protocol called IMAP. It stores all the mail on the server. If you want to delete your mail from the server, create a local mailbox and move your mail out of your Mac.com mailbox into the local mailbox.

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 8
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    thanks so much guys, mail is working properly now, will try out the iphoto thing later,

by the way, i am enjoying every second of my time with my imac, it's brand name experience and i am so glad that i made the decision 2 week ago.

how do i insert a pic here?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    glad you're enjoying your new iMac (i love the moviable screen...an am constantly changing it's position)...i agree that you should try to stay in X all the time and just learn the X way of doing things...i have used os 7 through 9 and was worried about moving to X, but have had no problems...in iPhoto (at least for me) my camcorder shows as a drive on my screen...if i turn it off or unplug the usb i get the same message as you have...but i have never lost images or data...but i don't get the message if i drag my camcorder drive to the trash/eject file before turning camera off or unplugging it...so that's what i do know....

g

as for placing a photo...others will be better at that than me, but how i do it is i opened an iTools account with apple...transfered images with iDisk and then open the photo at my homesite and add images here with the "image" button you see below when you are posting a message (god i'm bad at explaining these things...they explain these things in the Faq section <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=faq"; target="_blank">here</a>)

sample:

and of course my photo doesn't show...oh well...g

ok, now it does...g

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 8
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    thegelding, thanks for the advice, tell you what, your review on new imac has driven me to make the decision to go for my first mac,

i'm spending more time each day to get used to the new stuff. have tried inserting pic your way, but not working, will try again later.

by the way how can i change the font types, say the words i m typing is a bit blurred, is it the LCD display or possible to change it?

same here, i m turning the arm left and right every minutes, and my wife said ' wanna test it or break it'
  • Reply 8 of 8
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by firehc:

<strong>' wanna test it or break it'</strong><hr></blockquote>

lol. tell her not to worry, you're using a mac now.