kOffice or OpenOffice

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Which one is better and why? Does someone have first hand experience?

I am having trouble building OpenOffice 1.1 on 10.3.2 and was thinking of going the KDE way.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

Which one is better and why? Does someone have first hand experience?

I am having trouble building OpenOffice 1.1 on 10.3.2 and was thinking of going the KDE way.

Just download OpenOffice 1.0 until 1.1 is finished - its perfectly usable. KOffice (IMHO) is more like Appleworks for Linux, where as OpenOffice is an MS Office clone. You have to run it in X11, but that doesn't put you off does it?

If so get NeoOffice/J which is a Quartz/Java port of OpenOffice to run under the native Window Manager. Its highly unfinished though.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Software discussions, by their nature, belong in the Software forum. Moving there now...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    I've used OpenOffice for some time under X11. Once you get used to the commands, it's actually pretty easy to use. Comparable to Office at least.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    KOffice is a complete joke. Slow as molasses and incompatible with other formats.

'Nuff said.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I didn't realize that 1.1 would be Mac OS X/Darwin capable. The porting team seems to have relented to wait until everything is where it is supposed to be (they're writing all kinds of code in the main tree apparently), so the team was holding off until that was done, cuz it was too much to keep working on a moving target.

I haven't used KOffice and from the reviews above, prolly won't now. I voted OpenOffice, though I don't do a lot of work in it these days. When I don't have to hit X11 in the Dock anymore, I'll use it all the time.