Apple at Boston Expo? "No chance in hell"

coscos
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With the San Francisco show a memory, all eyes now focus on the planned Macworld Expo conference and exposition set for Boston, Mass., July 12-15. But with Apple still standing by its promise that it will not exhibit at the east coast show, there is great concern that for the first time Macworld Expo could be cancelled or go ahead with few exhibitors and become an embarrassment to the Mac community as a whole.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    why wont apple go? i mean, why did they promise they wouldnt go back?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

why wont apple go? i mean, why did they promise they wouldnt go back?

My memory is fuzzy on the details, but basically the people who run the conference decided to move it from New York to Boston without consulting with Apple. Apple apparently like the publicity of The Big Apple and doesn't want to give it up. So, instead, they're giving up on the conference altogether.

It's not all that simple, though. Apple has been slowly moving away from the conferences themselves anyhow. For quite some time now, Apple has been making major announcements and releases in privately held press conferences or other small events. This saves Apple *lots* of money, gives a much better guarantee for security, and gives Apple a better choice of press with whom to share it.

The moving of MacWorld to Boston was just a good excuse to back out of the Summer conference.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by COS

there is great concern that for the first time Macworld Expo could be cancelled or go ahead with few exhibitors and become an embarrassment to the Mac community as a whole.

Boohoo. It's not like MacWorld NY last year was a real MacWorld anyway... they shouldn't have used the name "MacWorld" for it, even in conjunction with "CreativePro".

There hasn't been a decent MWNY since 2000 when the Cube, DP Power Macs, ruby/sage/indigo/snow iMacs and the pro mice and keyboards were introduced. Cry me a river.

Barto
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

My memory is fuzzy on the details, but basically the people who run the conference decided to move it from New York to Boston without consulting with Apple. Apple apparently like the publicity of The Big Apple and doesn't want to give it up. So, instead, they're giving up on the conference altogether.

It's not all that simple, though. Apple has been slowly moving away from the conferences themselves anyhow. For quite some time now, Apple has been making major announcements and releases in privately held press conferences or other small events. This saves Apple *lots* of money, gives a much better guarantee for security, and gives Apple a better choice of press with whom to share it.

The moving of MacWorld to Boston was just a good excuse to back out of the Summer conference.

Jobs should choose his arguements and i think this is the wrong 1 for him...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

Jobs should choose his arguements and i think this is the wrong 1 for him...

Did you miss the second paragraph?

It's not economical for Apple to do the New York expo. The return just isn't there. Apple gets just as much coverage with a private press conference and a QuickTime stream as would at the MacWorld expo. Expo attendance has dropped dramatically over the years. Lower and lower attendance means you're not reaching as many people. Remember, you can't include the QuickTime stream viewers as "attendees" because Apple, again, can get just as many with a private release.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Did you miss the second paragraph?

It's not economical for Apple to do the New York expo. The return just isn't there. Apple gets just as much coverage with a private press conference and a QuickTime stream as would at the MacWorld expo. Expo attendance has dropped dramatically over the years. Lower and lower attendance means you're not reaching as many people. Remember, you can't include the QuickTime stream viewers as "attendees" because Apple, again, can get just as many with a private release.

This is absolutely true, except I dont expect all of SJ's keynotes infront of regular citizens to go away for good, any time soon. Steve loves the limelight, he loves connecting with us, the people. If you think about it, thats what he does for a living, he makes this arcane technology sound good to us, he frames things for the common folk...he will still want to preach directly to these people. Quicktime streams will never replace the real thing, MacWorld San Fran will probably at least be always one stage for Steve to connect directly to the people with.