Get A iPod mini Paper Cutout - Lifesize!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Go here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Oh that's *clever*.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I know who I'm sending that to!
  • Reply 3 of 18
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I just made mine, damn it's small!

This is a great idea. I'm pretending to use this thing and can't believe the size of it.

Gnarley.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Yes, putting it alongside a regular iPod really shows how small it is. Can't wait for the real thing next month! This is going to be a really hot item....... eBay already has bids for as much as $50 over list price.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I don't know why I didn't think to do this and post it here for my brothers.

I did do something similar when the dual-USB (white) iBooks first came out in 2001 (was that the year? May?). I took the measurements from Apple's site and scaled their PR photos of it to fit and posted it here.

I particularly remember Belle getting a kick out of it.

I, too, can't believe how small these miniPods are! If they only held 10GB, I'd get a silver one right now!
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Holy God, these are ludicrously small! I am now extremely happy I purchased one. They definately deserve the name they were given! I have the cutout sitting next to my pro speakers, the mini looks like a pea compared to it. Next to the base of my flat panel iMac the mini looks like a freaking raisen!

A perfect size reference to an every day object...the mini is almost exactly the same dimension as a Trident pack of gum, the 18 stick pack you can find at convenience stores. WOW. wOOt!
  • Reply 7 of 18
    i printed one out for a friend, who is considering purchasing one... these are greatadvertising tools!!
  • Reply 8 of 18
    The thing that really gets me jumping about the mini's is not just the height and width, but the damn thing is so thin. Maybe this is in fact the area of it's design where it could get smaller but still be functional. It is amazingly tiny, anything less would probably be dangerously small and not really functional. I can only see these mini's getting thinner, maybe very slightly smaller dimensionally overall...but that's probably a long way off because for now, nothing compares. I cant wait to slide one of these into my jean's pocket, simply amazing.

Slim, sexy, aluminum, light, functional, colorful, and of course musical-iPod mini.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Hey guys...I had some downtime and so I thought I'd take this idea a tiny step further.

Click here to download my Illustrator-based renderings of these iPods.

To scale (3.6" x 2"), in all five colors (yay!) AND with the top, bottom and sides includes (color on the sides, FireWire port on bottom and earbud/hold switch on top)! Nothing to fancy or sweated over, but a little more "complete" than the one photo-based one linked above from CDW. I figure if you dig the blue one alone - with no sides, top or bottom - you'll have to dig mine!

Folding, cutting and the "tucking of tabs" is the exact same procedure as the one from CDW...trim the entire thing out, fold on the tabs and iPod body joints, insert a few tabs, cram some business cards in for support (optional).

Enjoy!

For some damn reason, the blue one doesn't seem to show up or be recognized. I'm aware of this but can't figure out why. It's in the same exact location as all the others.

You can manually go to my iDisk Public Folder and grab it, I suppose.

Quick favor, for anyone interested: believe it or not, I don't have a printer...so if one of you kind souls download, cut out and build one or some of these, take a quick digital photo and e-mail it to me at [email protected]

I'd like to see how they turned out!

• Reply 10 of 18
    I'll be sure to show you, thanks a bunch man this is awesome stuff...wow, im a loser.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I did do something similar when the dual-USB (white) iBooks first came out in 2001 (was that the year? May?). I took the measurements from Apple's site and scaled their PR photos of it to fit and posted it here.

Yep I did the same thing as you when the original iPod cam out and I was comparing it to the other HD based options at the time, needless to say I bought an iPod.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Since the real mini has curved sides it will seem even slimmer. I suspect they'll be lifesize versions in the first ads in Time, Newsweek, etc. By the way, the backlight on mine doesn't work. Any suggestions?
  • Reply 13 of 18
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Quick favor, for anyone interested: believe it or not, I don't have a printer...so if one of you kind souls download, cut out and build one or some of these, take a quick digital photo and e-mail it to me at [email protected]

I'd like to see how they turned out!

Sorry for quality - it's on a phone camera (nearest to hand).

Amorya
  • Reply 14 of 18
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    If the backlight doesn't work, notify Apple immediately. They will either repair or replace it under warranty.

Well, If anyone here has been following my lamentable iPod battery thread, "The iPod Smear Campaign is Working," I sent this cut-out thing to the guy who was convinced the iPod had battery problems and was going to buy a Dell DJ. I also sent it to a couple of other prospective iPod buyers. Well, they have these things on their desks now, and the first guy is seriously reconsidering his previous commitment (hasn't bought anything yet), and one of my friends is going to put her tax return on the iPod mini.

It's a silly little thing, but it does get people excited.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Some pix of all five colors are on my website at:

http://homepage.mac.com/jmancini2/Leo's_X_Site/

the direct link to the photos:

http://homepage.mac.com/jmancini2/Le...toAlbum41.html

i made all five colors. i love them!

-leo
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Ha! Thanks
  • Reply 17 of 18
    What other computer company would have it's potential buyers make cut outs of future products?

The funny farm awaits!
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Yeah, it is kinda sad, isn't it?

There's just no equivalent on the other side, though. Who in the hell wants to take the good time and effort to make a paper model of a Dell tower or that Microsoft tablet thing?

No one, that's who.