[Merged] Song in a Mitsubishi commercial

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
[Edit: The two threads have been merged] Fellows

It's a Mitsubishi(sp?) spot with lots of people waving at the car (not sure of the model), and the payoff is a kid in the backseat. I'm not sure how long it's been running, but the track they use really got my attention. Very light, very vocal. Might be the best part of the song for all I know, but I have to pursue it.

Something like:

"Do you realize.....that you have...the most beautiful face...."

It's nice sounding. TIA.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    There is a Mitsubishi commercial that is running now (in the US, at least) that shows everyone waving to a kid in the back seat of a car.

The music in the background has these lyrics "...do you realize that you have the most beautiful face?..."

Does anyone know what this song is?

Thanks!
  • Reply 2 of 16
    The Flaming Lips: Do you realize. i can't believe they allowed this
  • Reply 3 of 16
    The flaming lips - do you realize
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

Why not? It sold at least one CD.

Thanks for the info!
  • Reply 5 of 16
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

I love that album and that song but the commercial is killing it for me.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stroszek

Why not? It sold at least one CD.

Thanks for the info!

because i hate it when bands i adore do this
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

yeah i hear ya. i had to listen to it in some promos that blockbuster video runs in their stores blockbuster!
  • Reply 8 of 16
    That's silly, just because they are cashing in a little, you don't even necessarily know the reasons behind the decision, for all you know they might have thought that the ads composition was artistically beautiful and perfectly suited for their song, and couldn't care less about the product. Or perhaps it was above their heads, and they had no control of it.

Also, this band you love so much, might have needed to do it in order to put out another CD, ya know?

wait a second, is it that you don't like it because of the saturation the ad gives it? thus numbing the meaning of the song to you?

if so, that's cool, I can dig that.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Oh my god, sell outs! !!! Making a buck! Ridiculous!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

I just came in here to make a thread about this. GOD DAMN CAR COMMERCIALS..... they're ruining it!!!!
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

I just came in here to make a thread about this. GOD DAMN CAR COMMERCIALS..... they're ruining it!!!!

And it's not just that it's in a commercial... but the damn thing is on nonstop!

Oops... meant to just edit that last post.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    It's one of my favorite albums. (Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots)

but this commercials ruining it for me....

also, duplicate thread
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Lotsa people watching tv tonight. Here's another thread on it.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

wait a second, is it that you don't like it because of the saturation the ad gives it? thus numbing the meaning of the song to you?

if so, that's cool, I can dig that.

Bingo. And it makes me not like it so much hearing a snippet of it, out of context. Hell, I don't like listening to songs OUT OF ORDER on an album. If I'm listening to a song, I like it to be in the context it was meant to be.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    yeah, like devo's "freedom of choice" on that miller commercial where every falls down like dominoes...

mind you, i love the song, devo rules, and that commercial was filmed in downtown toronto where i was just living seven months ago, but it still irks me.

Freedom of choice

Is what you got

Freedom of choice!

Then if you got it you don?t want it

Seems to be the rule of thumb

Don?t be tricked by what you see

You got two ways to go...

...Freedom from choice

Is what you want

• Reply 16 of 16
    I don't mind this one.... I think this one was done well. Usually, I hate ads that change my image of my favourite songs, but they created an image that really sort of suits it, and don't focus on the car.... its not like whenever I listen to that song i'm going to think MITSUBISHI.... i might think of that smiling kid in the back seat, which is a pretty decent representation of the song.

The other song that I think was rEALLY well integrated into an ad is Pictures of You by the Cure in the HP digital photography ads. One of my favourite ads on TV these days...

I think its the fact that we're not hearing Britney Spears or Celine Dion in these ads that makes them ok with me. its not a band "selling out"... its a company "adding cool"....

If the Flaming Lips can make another album like their last few, they can do whatever they want. they make great music, and they deserve the dollars they earn with it.