What's the Mhz worth?

c5jc5j
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm considering to buy a used Mac-G4 of some kind. The main thing I think about is how much faster (on Photoshop, illustrator, games and so on..) is a G4-867 (133) than a G4-400 (100)? They have equal everything else, same RAM (about 512MB), same graphics (geforce 2MX), same HD-speed. But different buss-speed. Is the extra 400MHz worth an extra 70%-amount of cash?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    It's worth it. You get a faster bus, a 2MB level 3 cache and more advanced PCI and AGP busses. More important than the application speed issues you raised is the fact that eventually you'll want to run MacOS X on it, and the 867 will handle that far better than the 400.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    webberwebber Posts: 12member
    the extra bus speed is probably more important than the 2x processor speed. go for the 867 as long as it's in your price range. i have the 400 and it's nice, but starting to show it's age already. that being said, there's nothing i can't do on it that i need to. photoshop, imovie work, apache, php, mysql all work great. but the interface is sluggish, especially running a monitor at 1600x1200 (large double buffered windows eat up ram like a mutha ****a!)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    c5jc5j Posts: 25member
    ok. I bought a none-used G4-733 instead. Waz that a clever thing to do?? For a few 100Bucks less than the used 867.