Pepsi/iTunes Ad Story

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
From USA Today:

Quote:

Pepsi ads wink at music downloading

By Theresa Howard, USA TODAY

NEW YORK ? A new sort of Pepsi Generation will get air time on the Super Bowl: music downloaders.

Some 20 teens sued by the Recording Industry Association of America, which accuses them of unauthorized downloads, will appear in a Pepsi-Cola (PEP) ad that kicks off a two-month offer of up to 100 million free ? and legal ? downloads from Apple's iTunes, the leading online music seller. The sassy ad, to be seen by Super Bowl's 88 million viewers on Feb 1, is a wink at the download hot button. Pepsi hopes the promotion will connect its flagship cola, as well as Sierra Mist and Diet Pepsi, with teens who've shown more affinity for bottled water, energy drinks and the Internet.

The ad identifies the teens as a "few of the kids sued for downloading music free off the Internet." RIAA has filed 914 lawsuits since it began cracking down in September, including 532 this week.

Annie Leith, a 14-year-old from Staten Island, appears with other downloaders in the ad, which features music by Green Day. The band cut a special version of the 1966 Bobby Fuller Four hit I Fought the Law for the ad, by BBDO, New York. In the ad, Leith holds a Pepsi and proclaims: "We are still going to download music for free off the Internet." Then the announcer says how: "Announcing the Pepsi iTunes Giveaway."

"It's all in good spirit," says Dave Burwick, chief marketer, Pepsi, North America. "This has been a huge cultural phenomenon. It's highly relevant and topical for consumers. We're turning people to buying music online vs. stealing it online."

Leith, whose favorite artist is Jay-Z, says she no longer makes unauthorized downloads and is excited to appear on the Super Bowl. "I can say I was on TV for something so ridiculous," says Leith, who along with her older sister and younger brother downloaded 950 songs over three years. They settled the lawsuit for $3,000, the average according to RIAA. She'll use some of her undisclosed ad fee to help pay for the settlement.

RIAA is all in favor of the ad and the promotion.

"This ad shows how everything has changed," says Mitch Bainwol, RIAA chairman. "Legal downloading is great because fans are supporting the future of creative work in America."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Cute. I like the idea.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    damn i love watching people realize how awesome apple is! i cant wait to watch that ad with my friends!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Remember this will be a Pepsi ad. The iTunes element is at the very end of the spot.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    very nice in a lot of ways...hip for the kids, helps with legal fees for some of the kids sued, makes the RIAA happy (kind of a bonus maybe), and they picked a great song to use (i bet it shows up as an exclusive on iTMS that sunday)...though they could have used The Clash's version and i would have been very happy...

nice job, too bad i don't drink soda...

now if pepsi just made a nice green tea

g
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Remember this will be a Pepsi ad. The iTunes element is at the very end of the spot.

Yes, but it is the central theme of the ad. :-)
  • Reply 6 of 11
    EDIT: Never mind I am an idiot..

But This is a cool idea. I like it.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    god, i hate the RIAA like i hate microsoft. to hear that guy say "it's great" just drips of spin. ugh. yes, pal, it's great, despite your best efforts to not help with this AT ALL.

now they're just tagging along as if they had anything to do with this whole phenomenon and actually helped in any way, shape or form with apple and the record labels. gosh, where have i seen that kind of tactic used??? seems to me i saw it eminating from redmond not too long ago...

at least the ad makes a not-so-indirect statement that the RIAA needs to lay off the kids and HELP promote the good way to do this.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I like the idea of "When you use Kazaa, you get what you pay for: inconsistent downloads, spyware, and the occasional $150,000 RIAA suit. So use iTunes, where you really get what you pay for: cheap, dependable downloads of high quality versions of your favorite tunes."
  • Reply 9 of 11
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Ugh. If the ad hadn´t gotten the blessing of RIAA Pepsi/Apple would have been killed in the courts.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Gee. Free downloads and the artists will get paid to boot. What a unique idea!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Too bad I stopped drinking Pepsi for Coke...I guess I could always switch back for a few months.