iMovie EDITED short film gets recognition...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Two weeks ago my friends and I from our school film class bunkered down in my house for a weekend, a 3 day weekend. We went into the house with nothing but a canon ZR-25 digital camcorder, script, and clothing props, and came out of the house with a film that is pretty cool. The project called for us to make a film noir style movie only 5-10 minutes in length, we exceeded that with a final running time of 17 minutes of pure noir.

The movie is appropriately named 'The Antics of Romantics' and is about a rich father that doesnt want his daughter to be married off to a schmuck. The father (Master Fisher Bates) calls the soon to be son in law (Norman Wells) into his office to discuss something. Once Norman goes to see Bates, Bates tells Norman he will pay him off to never see his daughter again. Norman argues that paying him off would defeat the purpose and would only make him a suitable suitor for his daughter, and that his daughter doesnt care that he lacks money. Bates gets angry with Norman and tells him that he has incredible power and influence and is not to be fooled with. Norman leaves by telling Bates that he will demand money from him if he is to keep this whole conversation from Nancy Bates, the daughter of Master Fisher Bates...As Norman leaves, Bates is enraged and calls his trusty friend Robert Traske, a pimp and handyman. Traske enters to some nice music, David Banner's Like a Pimp. Traske and Bates strike a deal, Ursela Lestate is a girl hired by Traske to seduce Norman. Ursela poses as a new neighbor in the 'hood and tries to seduce Norman, though while doing it she actually realizes she has generated feelings for him and cant go through with the plan. Ursela kills Nancy Bates thinking that there was a mutual chemistry between herself and Norman, though she is completely wrong. Norman comes in to find what has happened, is horrified and then he kills Ursela. Norman pulls a fast one on Bates then, calls him up and asks to take the original offer saying, "he thought it over and now wants the money over the woman." Bates is pleasantly surprised and arranges for the money to be delivered to Norman...Thus Norman is the winner, Bates is left with a broken family, and Traske overdoses on Cocaine.

The movie was shown to my film class and the teacher was astounded, he showed it to the person putting on the school talent show...now our movie is in the program for the show. The nice thing to note is that State College Area High School is one of the largest and most academically/athletically respected High Schools in Pennsylvania, if not the nation. Over 3,000 people will be seeing my movie, edited and produced on a Mac..I'm pretty excited.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    link

• Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

link

As soon as I figure out how to compress it enough to host it on .Mac's trial space of 20 MB, I will.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

As soon as I figure out how to compress it enough to host it on .Mac's trial space of 20 MB, I will.

hmm if there was a way for me to get it from you i could host it from my university web space (HUGE SPACE). but i cant see email as a very reliable way to do it lol... congrats by the way, and i'm glad you got that syncing thing worked out. keep it up!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    You guys could hook up on iChat and fire it over. Works great for huge stuff.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    hmm do you think my university would mind all the bandwitdh? cause actually, now that i think about it, lots of people would be watching this thing...
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Its really small, but I got it to 9.7 MB while retaining decent sound and video...its not meant to be seen this way but it will do. I'll have it up in a few minutes.

PS....Mods, could you fix the title for me? There is an extra "i" in edited, thanks.

http://homepage.mac.com/chrisdieugen...eTheater7.html
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Your thoughts are entirely welcomed! I see I have 18 hits on the page, probably 4 of them being mine, so someone is watching! Maybe the 9.7 MB is too much? Let me know, thanks in advance!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    ok my official review

first off, your movie reminds me so much of all the short films i've made with my friends along the way, so it was awesome noticing similarities that are inevitable in "low budget" films--i bet the outtakes are great.

i really enjoyed your "antics" hahaha. how old are you? there are a lot of good things going on with your video skills. with that said, i have two small pieces of constructive criticism. first, and i know its not too big of a deal, i hate the slo-mo in imovie, with what it does to sound. i understand thats somewhat outta your control, but its something to consider next time. second, i feel like some of the dialogues could have been a little snappier in the editing... there were just a lot of times where cutting another 10 frames or so would have kept the rythmn a lot better.

other than those two minor things that most people probably wont even notice, it was great. dont ever stop filming, and be sure to share your next video with us!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Hey thanks a lot man. I am 18 years old, a senior in high school. I have been accepted to Penn State University and will be attending in the fall. I am double majoring in Business Management and Film, we'll see how it all plays out, hehe.

Yeah, about the editing comments, thanks! I understand totally what you're talking about and I know I need to fix the issues. I think I could benefit from getting some external mic's and attach them to the actors. Thanks for the comments, it will help me greatly now and next time I film.

BTW, my character was Master FIsher Bates. Outtakes were hillarious too, I removed the gag reel because of size issues for the net (if u wanna see em let me know). Also, I wrote, edited, and acted in this...lol