G5 not booting up 100%

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok, I got this strange problem after I burned a DVD. Every program I opened immediately quit. OK, simple enough, I had something like this in OS 9 before and a simple restart will fix it.

Woops. Big mistake.

The G5 seems to boot just fine but the finder won't launch. In fact, I command-option-ESC and the finder blinks on and off. I don't think the blinking is a error, I think the finder is trying to launch and quiting over and over again. I left it like that for 10 minutes and nothing changed. I ran disk utility and Tech Tool Pro 4 to no avail. (BTW, I think TTP4's "E-drive" caused some disk problems that I can't fix without a format so I suggest not using it until the next update. It also took out my iPod but I had that backed up)

What is the best way to proceed with the repairs?

PS: I am making a backup night now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Replace system 10 form the mac os x install cds you got with your G5. You won't lose your files, or preferences. It'll just replace the system.

The common cure IMO.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Well, I did a reinstall/archive of the system and it booted a few times but now hangs at the login window. I think I have to do a full reformat tomorrow. I am not looking forward to it. And I'm sick&tired of buying larger hard drives so I can copy files from the big hard drives I use. I have stacks of unused drives from 2-80GB all filled with "important stuff" . It's actually kind of like a memory book looking back through it. I can't bring myself to throw this stuff away.

Anyways, there is a RAID option in my G5 is I buy 2 drives of the same size. If I can buy 1 matching drive can it be the "last". (unless a drive dies, but at least I won't have it sitting around collecting dust) Will that stop corruption or rebuild lost data if I stripe the drives and one dies. I know what RAID 0 is, but 1-5 is fuzzy to me. I think it has to do with how the data is sorted to each drive. Anyone care to explain? (simply please) Or even recommend RAID?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Damn, sorry to hear that it didn't work...

What apps have you used to try and fix the problem? Have you tried booting from a cd or another HD and fixing it with norton disk doctor?

This is a weird problem, as reinstalling the system in that manner should have helpd a lot, but obviously it hasn't... Hmmm, perhaps use Drive 10 to (if you have it) go over checks on that hard drive. If not, you could contact Apple about this.