is imac lcd screen good with games, movies?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
guys

i went to best buy and was watching some kids playing unreal on a large lcd monitor and was struck at how BLURRY everything was when there was any motion onscreen. the "ghosting" was so bad i could see it making someone dizzy after awhile. does the imac g4 screen suffer from this as well?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by futuremac

guys

i went to best buy and was watching some kids playing unreal on a large lcd monitor and was struck at how BLURRY everything was when there was any motion onscreen. the "ghosting" was so bad i could see it making someone dizzy after awhile. does the imac g4 screen suffer from this as well?

I have the 17" imac, and the lcd screen is perfectly fine for movies and games. no blur. I have seen the 'blur' on some lcd's though usually the cheaper ones, that have a slower screen update speed as well.

the mac ones are fine.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by futuremac

guys

The key word there is "Best Buy".
  • Reply 3 of 12
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i was more struck at how bad the color was on most of the lcd's at best buy. bright yellows nearly green with blue overcasts. ugh.

you CAN get a good monitor from best buy, but you need to do you own research and not trust them. apple lcd's are good, but if you're looking for the least ghosting, formac's lcd's have the best ratings in several categories, are comparable to apple's lcd's, and cheaper. they also have a much longer warranty on their monitor lines

however, formac's customer service is not terribly great, and their abandonment of anyone who bought their proformance video cards for support under mac os x is the stuff of legend.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    we are in the marketfor a flsat panel, and i ,as before all large gadget purchases, have done my HW.

#1 best buy=worst sales / setup staff who dunno the meaning of tweaking the steings, and the loop they run on them at least here is so bad that it leaves yellow burn in marks on 2000$ sony and samsung lcds

#2 the sweet spot for quality is mits. or NEC which i beleve are the same and for an 18 inch, like 500$ (rough ballpark)

#3 DONT GO EL-CHEAP-O you get what ya buy, a 300$ 17 inch pannel will give you dim spots, bright spots and dead pixals I GARAN_DAMN TEE it as i have seen it,

the 17 inch apples (imac wide and studio square)are great, not the best but very good
  • Reply 5 of 12
    The LCD on my iMac rocks for watching movies and videos
  • Reply 6 of 12
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i wouldn't get an LCD at all unless you have a large chunk of money to get a nice on (think apple or formac). i would actually go for an ultra-high quality CRT like a LaCie Electron Blue III or IV. They have them from 17"-22", i believe, their picture is unreal, and they are cheap compared to similarly-sized LCDs
  • Reply 7 of 12
    i THINK it was this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat01013

and i remember being surprised since it was a sony and it cost 2599! i thought for that price it looked like crap. the ghosting was unbelivable, when an arm moved, there was this like almost 2 inch blur behind it. i asked the "salesperson" "is that a special effect"? and he said "no, all lcd monitors look like that"

i know they have some sort of new lcd type coming out that does not have that ghosting but i read they're not ready yet. i don't expect an lcd monitor to be totally blur-free like a crt, but this huge, expensive, 23 inch model was so bad i was surprised. then he put the game "freedom force" on and it was still bad. i even asked him if maybe the settings weren't optimized but he said they were...

so the imac starts at 1299...hmmmmmm

i love the imac g4 form factor, but i really need the powermac g5 power and expandability. and those 20 in apple monitors look great. although i hear the 20 inch is better than the 23 inch?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

i would actually go for an ultra-high quality CRT like a LaCie Electron Blue III or IV

I got an Electron Blue III 19" at the start of University 4th year. It made a massive difference coming from a generic 15" monitor.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    i have a kds "flat" monitor, it was cheap but not good. so i guess i'll see a diffrence with one of those?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    All LCDs are a little blurry when watching movies, since they emulate the lower resolution. And if you play games at a resolution lower than native (for higher FPS, maybe), they'll blur a little too.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by KeilwerthReborn

All LCDs are a little blurry when watching movies, since they emulate the lower resolution. And if you play games at a resolution lower than native (for higher FPS, maybe), they'll blur a little too.

I think he meant when things were moving. it used to be more common wth the lowe grade screens, and the old passive mactrix screens.

btw, movies are not blury on my screen.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    blestblest Posts: 24member
    what you guys are talking about with blurriness in the picture, or at least from the original poster is actually not the panel quality in concern, but the pixel response time.

Newer panels are now being manufactured to have a 16ms response time. You will still see a lot of monitors that are around the 20-25 ms range. 16ms right now is the sweet spot for handling alot of movement and action on the screen with the least amount of visible ghosting.

there is your answer...finally

also i wouldnt say that it's "lower grade" that always exhibit this. Most people still havent heard of solarism panels and they make a wonderful monitor that doesnt cost alot and has a 16 ms response time. the model number is LM 1730.