Downloading MPGs onto Hard Drive?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
In OS9 I could hold down option on my keyboard and click on an MPG download and it would download onto my desktop so I can save it.

I tried it in OSX and it doesnt work. I tried holding down the control key while doing it and I got a download dialogue box but nothing happened. Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    if i understand you correctly, you should be able to jsut cntrl-click and save link to disk (which you can set as your desktop).
  • Reply 2 of 7
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

if i understand you correctly, you should be able to jsut cntrl-click and save link to disk (which you can set as your desktop).

Tried that, it didnt work, unless its an aol prolem. Ill try doing it in safari and see what happens.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Tried that, it didnt work, unless its an aol prolem.

AOL for Mac OS X is many versions ahead of the version for Mac OS 9. I highly doubt it is still using the same embedded browser for the web.

Try a third-party one like Safari, Camino, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

AOL for Mac OS X is many versions ahead of the version for Mac OS 9. I highly doubt it is still using the same embedded browser for the web.

Try a third-party one like Safari, Camino, etc.

AOL for OSX is using Netscape as its browser, AOL for OS9 used IE. I had no trouble with the old version, but I can downlaod the MPG using safari, which is netscape based. I have no idea why AOL is having trouble.

Does anyone feel that safari is slow as molasses? AOL's built in browser is much faster. Although I cant seem to downlaod anything!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

but I can downlaod the MPG using safari, which is netscape based.

Whooooa, nelly. Not true at all.

Netscape is built from Mozilla. Camino and Firebird are also built on Mozilla.

Safari is built primarily from KHTML (from the KDE project). Konqueror is also built on KHTML.

Both Mozilla and KHTML are open-sourced and free.

Safari has very little to do with Netscape.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Whooooa, nelly. Not true at all.

Netscape is built from Mozilla. Camino and Firebird are also built on Mozilla.

Safari is built primarily from KHTML (from the KDE project). Konqueror is also built on KHTML.

Both Mozilla and KHTML are open-sourced and free.

Safari has very little to do with Netscape.

Oh-nevermind

Not too impressed with safari so far
  • Reply 7 of 7
    do I smell troll poontang?

it's true classic mac OS's were nice systems, and apparently some people get used to doing one thing a certain way and no other way will ever make any sense.

Face it, it was time for Apple to move on. Classic Mac had become old, and was being run into the ground by windows. The OS Apple had to offer had been waning for a long time.

You seem to have a problem with change, I had no such trouble upgrading to X, and I was a long time classic user. Sure, maybe a few keystrokes have changed, but for me the end result of using OSX has been a big increase in my production, and the fun factor has gone through the roof. All this with a very short learning curve. OSX presently has a much better user experience than 9 could ever offer, and unlike the coffin that classic mac had become, OSX's future is bright.

So remember to close the lid on your coffin before all the dirt covers you.

From the still living side, Randy