Stable Windowshade hack?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I really miss Windowshade. Is there a stable, safe freeware or shareware version out there? I still dont understand why Apple is being so stubborn about not putting it back?

I would also love to see a configurable Favorites menu back under the Apple Menu.

Oh yes, and the trash can bak on the desktop. I set the dock to hide and throwing something in the trash is a pain in the arse.

On the positive side i find using the internet to be much faster in Panther than in OS9.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Wow, you must really be one from that endangered species I heard of recently... I think they're called Nineicus Holdovericus.

With the release of Panther, there's less need now than ever to bring back window shade. Exposé makes for vastly improved window management. Assign the Exposé commands to the corners of the screen and take advantage of Fitt's Law with those corners' infinite x,y size! If you have a many-button mouse, assign Exposé there too.

Anecdote o' the day: My girlfriend never used Macs in her life before she met me. The only Mac she really uses is mine. When I installed 10.3, I set up Exposé for the corners. She set it off by accident one day and within minutes she had already mastered the technique. She's mastered and uses it all the time now and loves it.

Quote:

Oh yes, and the trash can bak on the desktop. I set the dock to hide and throwing something in the trash is a pain in the arse.

I pin the dock to the bottom end and hide it. I take a file from anywhere, slam the cursor in the infinite +x,-y direction, and it drops into the trash. That's a lot easier and quicker than having to uncover some icon on the desktop from under maybe dozens of windows.

As for hacks? Bah.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Expose? Is this part of OSX?

Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Wow, you must really be one from that endangered species I heard of recently... I think they're called Nineicus Holdovericus.

With the release of Panther, there's less need now than ever to bring back window shade. Exposé makes for vastly improved window management. Assign the Exposé commands to the corners of the screen and take advantage of Fitt's Law with those corners' infinite x,y size! If you have a many-button mouse, assign Exposé there too.

Anecdote o' the day: My girlfriend never used Macs in her life before she met me. The only Mac she really uses is mine. When I installed 10.3, I set up Exposé for the corners. She set it off by accident one day and within minutes she had already mastered the technique. She's mastered and uses it all the time now and loves it.

I pin the dock to the bottom end and hide it. I take a file from anywhere, slam the cursor in the infinite +x,-y direction, and it drops into the trash. That's a lot easier and quicker than having to uncover some icon on the desktop from under maybe dozens of windows.

As for hacks? Bah.

• Reply 3 of 6
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Exposé isn't really a replacement for Windowshade, just like the Dock wasn't. Windowshade lets you do one thing very easily. You can use one command (twice) to quickly see what's behind a window without moving it. In Exposé, you'd have to trigger the Exposé then click or tab to the right window, then go back if you want to do the same gesture. That's not very efficient. With the Dock, the same problem is present. Minimizing to the Dock is one command, while maximizing is another.

And I readily support the use of Windowshade X from Unsanity. It's cheap and STABLE (and even if it isn't with some obscure app, it's easy to disable per application.)

http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/wsx/

Also, unless Brad has used some sort of 'hack,' the Trash icon doesn't have infinite depth on any axis...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Thanks. I will try windowshade X.

Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Exposé isn't really a replacement for Windowshade, just like the Dock wasn't. Windowshade lets you do one thing very easily. You can use one command (twice) to quickly see what's behind a window without moving it. In Exposé, you'd have to trigger the Exposé then click or tab to the right window, then go back if you want to do the same gesture. That's not very efficient. With the Dock, the same problem is present. Minimizing to the Dock is one command, while maximizing is another.

And I readily support the use of Windowshade X from Unsanity. It's cheap and STABLE (and even if it isn't with some obscure app, it's easy to disable per application.)

http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/wsx/

Also, unless Brad has used some sort of 'hack,' the Trash icon doesn't ever stretch in the infinite +x direction when it's horizontally positioned...

• Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Expose? Is this part of OSX?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/expose/
  • Reply 6 of 6
    on the contrary, i find that expose does almost everything that i used windowshade for. the only thing that it doesn't do is make a window under my current window easily available to read information from quickly. i don't do that very often, so the than that it's pretty good. the f11 function of expose is particularly useful to get to the desktop, although i put an alias of desktop in my dock and i prefer to see the desktop contents in column view.