I am your father.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I saw in ad in the newspaper for a sperm bank that says make up to $300 a week. Sounds like easy money. Without going into detail... it's not like I don't waste it anyway. .........errr, I mean... what?

What do you think? Maybe the key words are UP TO. What is it... $50 a day for 6 days? \

Can I take my girlfriend with me? I hear she can get $5000 an egg.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Easy money baby!
  • Reply 2 of 21
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I don't know man. These days the sperm bank kids are going back to find their "fathers". One pop and you can have 100s of kids. The way lawyers work these days I'd be worried about it.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    About taking your girlfriend....

Isn't it a complicated and somewhat dangerous procedure to harvest eggs? I'm pretty sure its an actual operation. Its not like they can just...umm...suck em out or something. heh.

Also, lets say you're 18 now and you start donating sperm. When you're a rich successful 50 year old who's dating 21 year old chicks, one of them could be your daughter!!! heheheh
  • Reply 4 of 21
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    in UK they might pass the law that kids will be able to know their biological parents .. or whatever, those who donated the sperm or egg.

thats bs. and against the privacy.

donate some cells and someone knocks on your door in 20 years. trying to "know you". fsck it. their parents are their parents = mum and dad. you should not be involved in it.

umph, i'm just 25 % totally unknown.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    i applied, but for some reason they didn't want somebody named thegelding to contribute....

g
  • Reply 6 of 21
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Go for it! IF you pass the tests, and I've heard it's not easy to do, then you could make some money. Go for it and report back, just not in too much detail.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    I think it is unethical. More than likely your sperm will end up being used for some cloning/stem cell research.

How many people go in for artificial ___________ anyway? It would make more sense to adopt a child instead.

Do you know people who have had an artifical pregnancy?
  • Reply 8 of 21
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Hell no.

With all the DNA-related ID and crime lab technologies in the works, I wouldn't. DNA will only become a more prevalent means of identifying and convicting people. Imagine giving a couple clinics in a big city a month's worth of spoo... 3 years later you've got dozens of kids running around all over the place. 12 or more years after that, some of these kids start committing crimes because mamacita didn't raise them right.

Granted, you'd have to be in the vicinity of the crimes they commit for starters, but one day it's going to happen. Some poor sap is going to get accused / convicted of a crime commited by one of his Public Sperm Works projects.

Hey, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me!

• Reply 9 of 21
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Hell no.

With all the DNA-related ID and crime lab technologies in the works, I wouldn't. DNA will only become a more prevalent means of identifying and convicting people. Imagine giving a couple clinics in a big city a month's worth of spoo... 3 years later you've got dozens of kids running around all over the place. 12 or more years after that, some of these kids start committing crimes because mamacita didn't raise them right.

Granted, you'd have to be in the vicinity of the crimes they commit for starters, but one day it's going to happen. Some poor sap is going to get accused / convicted of a crime commited by one of his Public Sperm Works projects.

Hey, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me!

And here I was just going to tell Akumulator to sign up with the University of Calgary. Guys there can get a free two-week vacation to Australia for volunteering as a sperm donor. A clinic in New South Wales made the offer, because Australian guys quit donating when a ruling came down that you couldn't remain anonymous.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

Do you know people who have had an artifical pregnancy?

I do know a couple that used a doner's egg and it made my friends the happiest people in the world. After all was said and done they couldn't believe how amazing they feel, and the gratitude they feel, because someone was willing to help them out. The father's going to donate sperm now simply because he feels so grateful after the process that he wants to return the favor.

If you can, donate sperm. You'll make some unfortunate couple happier than a pig in shit.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I've never been a sperm donor, but I've been saving mine up since I was 13 in a big jar in the fridge. I figure maybe someday someone will give me like a million dollars for it.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

If you can, donate sperm. You'll make some unfortunate couple happier than a pig in shit.

hilarious! your sentimentality and sensitivity astound me!
  • Reply 13 of 21
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Or they could just adopt an existing child that is healthy but otherwise unwanted. People are just wacked sometimes....
  • Reply 14 of 21
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I've never been a sperm donor, but I've been saving mine up since I was 13 in a big jar in the fridge. I figure maybe someday someone will give me like a million dollars for it.

Just reading that makes me want to puke.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    "Whaddya mean that wasn't mayonnaise?"
  • Reply 16 of 21
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Or they could just adopt an existing child that is healthy but otherwise unwanted. People are just wacked sometimes....

But something about carrying your child for that 9 months, the delivery process, all that stuff can make you feel closer to the child, make it feel like it is more yours. Adoption is an awesome thing, no doubt, but some people don't want to go that route.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

You're awful!
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Husband then looks at wife and says: "See, it's not so bad is it?"
  • Reply 19 of 21
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

But something about carrying your child for that 9 months, the delivery process, all that stuff can make you feel closer to the child, make it feel like it is more yours. Adoption is an awesome thing, no doubt, but some people don't want to go that route.

aww. i think avoiding all that is awesome. why does anyone want to see their body deform, belly grow to gigantic measurements, feel pain etc etc all the inconveniences it causes?

it can make you feel closer to the child, maybe. but it does not mean the child will be at all close to you.

if you want a child to be loved, get a child and love it. it shouldn;t differ if it has been a parassite in your body or if you have bought (adopted) it. just love, that counts.

besides, i'd freak out if i ever had a kid that had anything (physical or charachter) of me, or of my parents, especially mum. i think i could not love it.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

my coll roommate told me his gf really did that. really really disgusting idea.