Zap the PRAM in OSX?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Do we still have to zap the PRAM occasionaley in OSX? I just replaced the PRAM battery and my iMac is acting a little wierd. Will zapping help and whats the key combo again? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Some problems can still be solved by resetting the PRAM, it's worth a shot. Command + Option + P + R
  • Reply 2 of 13
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Extras.rsrc

Some problems can still be solved by resetting the PRAM, it's worth a shot. Command + Option + P + R

Thank you my friend. Ill give it a shot. I also wonder whether my computer likes the PNY RAM I installed
  • Reply 3 of 13
    .....ok, i need to stop doggin this poor sap
  • Reply 4 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    MacOS X is more particular about RAM errors - OS 9 just chugged along happily, assuming that everything was okey-dokey, but OS X actually expects the RAM to be *correct*. You may want to run the Gauge Pro utility that you can find on versiontracker.com, macosupdate.com, and other places. Unfortunately, it only runs under 9, and hasn't been updated for X, so you'll have to boot into 9 if you can.

If it passes that test suite, it's A-OK, and you've got no worries about the RAM.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

MacOS X is more particular about RAM errors - OS 9 just chugged along happily, assuming that everything was okey-dokey, but OS X actually expects the RAM to be *correct*. You may want to run the Gauge Pro utility that you can find on versiontracker.com, macosupdate.com, and other places. Unfortunately, it only runs under 9, and hasn't been updated for X, so you'll have to boot into 9 if you can.

If it passes that test suite, it's A-OK, and you've got no worries about the RAM.

OK, will do. The RAM in there is slower than the installed RAM so I was considering changing it anyway. Im going to check out Crucial.com and see what theyre charging for 256Mb PC100. At least I know their RAM is CL2, unlike the CL3 that PNY sold me.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Im going to check out Crucial.com and see what theyre charging for 256Mb PC100. At least I know their RAM is CL2, unlike the CL3 that PNY sold me.

Make sure to buy it after clicking the Crucial banner on this site!
  • Reply 7 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    PRAM also solved my trackpad problem when it stopped working properly. Although my regular mouse still doesn't work \
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jambo

Make sure to buy it after clicking the Crucial banner on this site!

I can dig it
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I have recently made the switch to Mac OS X from a lifetime of using Windows and am trying to learn as much as I can about the platform.

What is PRAM exactly?

What does resetting it do exactly?

Are there any type of common problems that it solves by zapping it?

Mike
  • Reply 10 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

I have recently made the switch to Mac OS X from a lifetime of using Windows and am trying to learn as much as I can about the platform.

What is PRAM exactly?

Mike

Good question...just a little bump in hopes someone answers it.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

What is PRAM exactly?

Quote:

Apple PRAM KB Article

PRAM (parameter RAM) stores certain system and device settings in a location that Mac OS X can access quickly. Exactly which settings are stored in the computer's PRAM varies depending on the type of computer as well as the types of devices and drives connected to the computer.

Some information stored in PRAM includes:Time zone setting
    Startup volume choice
    Speaker volume
    Recent kernel panic information, if any
    DVD region setting
    Note: Mac OS X stores your preselected DVD region choice in PRAM for easy access. Resetting PRAM does not allow you to change the DVD region.

Unlike prior versions of the Mac OS, Mac OS X does not store display or network settings in PRAM. If you experience a video or network issue, resetting PRAM will not help.

If PRAM is reset, you may need to verify your time zone, startup volume, and volume settings using System Preferences. Certain firmware updates may reset PRAM as a normal part of their installation process.

• Reply 12 of 13
    That was very helpful.

Thank you.

Mike
  • Reply 13 of 13
    While you can reset the PRAM in OS X, I would advise against it. Several things can get out of whack if you do. For example, software RAIDs will no longer be bootable, many system preferences and keychain settings can corrupt, etc. It's not a good idea.

If you feel there are RAM, PRAM, or logic board issues, I would suggest TechTool Pro to check and repair such things.