Future RAID EVMS solutions

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
First I was wondering if apple supports anything like EVMS for linux? Also if experts can mention the benefits of this to traditional RAID solutions. I just thought that this is one area apple could push. I imagine a dynamic RAID system that is applied whenever you add more than one hard drive. The system would be able dynamically switch between stripped for speed, or other safer RAID solutions depending on the data being written to the drive. Is this even possible? Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    With the latest XServe RAID Apple has added a lot of this capability. But I don't see any of this coming to standard desktops, or being auto-configured. The reason is that it would simply add complexity without adding much of anything to the computing experience. Disks going bad and access speed are not the big problems in mot users lives (backups being a much better idea for most people... true backups not RAID).

Volume management depends a lot on personal configuration. Deciding what needs striping and what needs mirroring depends on a lot of factors, and is really something that a human should decide. The computer should never try and make those decisions, there are too many conflicting goals, and too many possibilities for the computer to surprise you in a bad way.