New iMac Display

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
when using explorer, i find it quite difficult to read words of small font size on the new iMac LCD,

is there anything i could do?

[quote]iMac newbie <hr></blockquote>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Increase the font size in Internet Explorer by hitting Command-+ to increase it, or Command - to decrease it.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    thanks, but is it common in LCD display to have difficulty in viewing small fonts,

i dont have problem in my CRT before

[quote] iMac Newbie<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 3 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    it's a 10x7 on a true 15"'es. that's not very small at all. if you're having trouble reading them, get new glasses or a larger monitor.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    taqtaq Posts: 76member
    use opera. It displays text better than explorer.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    i have my glasses on all the time

the 'problem' is the small fonts in Explorer are difficult to read or not 'smooth' compared to my old PC CRT display. nothing to do with the size of the LCD display panel!

[quote]iMac Newbie <hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 6 of 8
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    The fonts don't look smooth (anti-aliased) because OS X only smooths font larger than a certain size. In System Preferences (Light-switch w/Apple Logo icon in the Dock) there is an option under General (Top row, 3rd in from left) to "turn off smoothing for fonts under . . .".

Try setting that at its lowest setting.

Alternatively, try different web browsers. There is Opera, OmniWeb, Netscape / Mozilla, or Chimera, which uses the Gecko rendering engine, but is written specifically for OS X.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Actually, the problem is not the font smoothing setting, it's that IE is not coded to use the font smoothing. It's a poor carbon port of the application. Try Omniweb. It's better and the web never looked so pretty.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    thanks guys,

i would try the others browsers

[quote] iMac Newbie <hr></blockquote>