Microsoft trying to spin sucky security as a good thing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey, have you guys read this Register article? Viruses and hackers make Windows more secure - Gates

Here's a quote that almost made me gag (typos courtesy of The Reg):
Quote:

Bcause the smartest hackers targeted Windows Microsoft could improve the security of its platform more rapidly than OS rivals, he argued: hackers are "good for the maturation" of the platform"

This is a really good read, especially since MS is being serious!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    and horrable car crashes that result in people being freakishly mangled make autos safer

never heard Henery(sp) Ford say that
  • Reply 2 of 5
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Because the smartest hackers targeted Windows Microsoft could improve the security of its platform more rapidly than OS rivals, he argued: hackers are "good for the maturation" of the platform

well, those "rivals" are either the Mac or Linux, so we know where those zingers are directed. and while his statement does make "sense," from a PR standpoint, it's friggin' retarded.

that's akin to saying: "yes, those hackers help make us better all the time... i sure am glad all of our consumers have been such willing security guinea pigs with every service pack and security patch."
  • Reply 3 of 5
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Here's a slightly more reputable link: ZDNet UK

So, it's better to have hackers constantly exposing your holes than an open source community that's been examining Unix for over three decades?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    This from the ZDNet article:
    Quote:

"A high volume system like [Windows] that has been thoroughly tested will be by far the most secure," Gates told the audience ...

I'm sure that makes the Windows victims feel so-o-o-o-o much better.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

Because the smartest hackers targeted....

and since they aren't windows users, are they admitting at smart people don't use windows?