Palm PDA Advice...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have an old Palm m105. It's hard for me to sync it because that was the last model Palm made before creating the 'Universal connector' that all the Palms use now (so that the same docking cradle works with all Palms, with a couple exceptions). So I'm stuck with needing an adapter + drivers to go from Serial to USB to sync with my laptop. (I have a PowerBook and Apple gets rid of legacy connectors as better connectors are available) I had a Belkin adapter, but they only had beta OSX drivers that only worked with OS 10.2, since I've upgraded to 10.3 it won't work. This week at OfficeMax there's a Palm Zire (basic model) going for $49.99 (reg. $78.99 or something like that). The only thing is that it doesn't have as much internal flash memory as my m105 does. (my m105 has 8meg, and the Zire has 2meg) The Zire 21 has the same amount of memory, but it's like $99... It comes with a soft case though. Another upside of the Zire is that I think it will run Palm OS 5 or higher. My m105 is only at PalmOS 3.5.1.

I don't want to spend that much money, but if I want to sync it with my laptop I would have to buy yet another adapter (this one has all the drivers I need) that is $30. Does anything think that it's worth it to just spend the extra $20 and get the newer PDA and escape the hassle, even though there is less memory (no SD expansion slot like some Palms have either)? Or should I maybe spend even more money on the Zire 21?

Zire

Zire 21

m105

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Sorry for the Apple explanations that I'm sure some people don't need here. I posted it to another forum that is less computer-related and no one answered so I figured that people here would be more into this topic...
  • Reply 2 of 2
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyr3

I have an old Palm m105. It's hard for me to sync it because that was the last model Palm made before creating the 'Universal connector' that all the Palms use now (so that the same docking cradle works with all Palms, with a couple exceptions). So I'm stuck with needing an adapter + drivers to go from Serial to USB to sync with my laptop. (I have a PowerBook and Apple gets rid of legacy connectors as better connectors are available) I had a Belkin adapter, but they only had beta OSX drivers that only worked with OS 10.2, since I've upgraded to 10.3 it won't work. This week at OfficeMax there's a Palm Zire (basic model) going for $49.99 (reg. $78.99 or something like that). The only thing is that it doesn't have as much internal flash memory as my m105 does. (my m105 has 8meg, and the Zire has 2meg) The Zire 21 has the same amount of memory, but it's like $99... It comes with a soft case though. Another upside of the Zire is that I think it will run Palm OS 5 or higher. My m105 is only at PalmOS 3.5.1.

m105_faq.html]m105[/url]

i might be of some use here...i have the M100 a whole pile of adapters to get it to work with my eMac. Synching is okay at best (about 1 out of 4 times i have to unplug the usb cable, restart, and plug it back in) and the whole set up isn't quite as elegant as mac computing is supposed to be.

I would sell your m105 on ebay for $25 or whatever and pick up a new zire 21 on ebay for around $65. only buy the zire 21, don't mess around with the other.

let us know what happens