well MWSF is over; as usual Apple fails to deliver

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The first post MWSF thread. i realize it's a bit early, but with all of the G5 talk raising people's expectations to unrealistic heights I figure we may as well get started griping now. (Come monday afternoon these boards may be inundated.)

I'll go first:

Who would have ever guessed what Steve's concept of revolutionary was? But you know Steve-he knows best! So we can be sure that within a few months the rest of the computer world will follow suit. I mean, who could beat a computer and monitor all rolled into one form factor, with a Mac OS running on a 8mhz 68000 motorola processor. And the whole OS fits on 100k of disk space and uses 640k of memory. Best of all it it comes with a 500k hard disk and 1mb ram--and sells for $400! Imagine, a $400 Apple Mac-who would've ever thunk that? Best of all, there's plenty of headroom for faster computers appearing in the coming months. By starting off at the bottom Apple can astound us at each successive trade show with screaming improvements in speed; runor has it that MWNY will see new Macs called "PowerMacs" running at speeds up to 40 mhz-that's a whopping 500 percent increase in processor speed. Let's see Wintel match speed increases like that!

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: Ptrash ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    I am a bit skeptic of the 19" display iMacs, I don't think they are, er, as "portable" as the old ones. But the dual G3 at 700 mhz sure make them interesting, though 128 mb of SDRAM and ATA66 don't really represent the cutting edge.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Cool. Where can I get the same time machine as yours?
  • Reply 3 of 38
    [quote]Originally posted by catalyst:

<strong>Cool. Where can I get the same time machine as yours?</strong><hr></blockquote>

He received a Macaddict magazine from Einstein Express. "When it positively, absolutely has to be there by yesterday."

I'm still miffed that I have to wait until Tokyo for an Apollo in the TiBook. And Steve, lose the black turtleneck & jeans routine. It's so 1990s.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    I like the black mock turtleneck and jeans. It is his signature.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by xype:

<strong>I am a bit skeptic of the 19" display iMacs, I don't think they are, er, as "portable" as the old ones. But the dual G3 at 700 mhz sure make them interesting, though 128 mb of SDRAM and ATA66 don't really represent the cutting edge.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm very skeptical of the dual G3 because the G3 can't go dual. Some technical thing or other. Expect some lawsuits...
  • Reply 6 of 38
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I feel that Steve Jobs himself has singled me out in all the world and betrayed me alone -- stabbed me in my heart. Apple has done exactly what has hurt me most, and in the process has only done what is possible with technology. Why couldn't they leapfrog technological progress? God knows they had enough time to do something besides a speed bump, new chips, new features, new cases and new marketing! There (sic) ads suck!

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO "INSANELY GREAT?!!!!?!?!"

• Reply 7 of 38
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>I like the black mock turtleneck and jeans. It is his signature.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly, nothing else would do. A suit just wouldn't feel right.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    We got a 1 GHZ machine.

Thats what it topped out at and we have to waint until March to get it.

Cobra
  • Reply 9 of 38
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    DAMMMNNN!!!! I can't believe those people actually booed Steve! I still can't believe it. They didn't boo at MWNY, maybe that's why they did this time tho. Man, and that water bootle just missed Steve's head. I'm just as pissed about the top of the line G4 being only 1.0ghz with nothing new to it but I wouldn't have thrown bottles at Stevie. Can't believe Adobe won't be releasing photoshop 7 until July, they suck!!

I'm going back to bed, I got up early for nothing!
  • Reply 10 of 38
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    What a dissapointment. "We think that this represents a totally new direction in consumer computing" my ass! His damn turtleneck must be on too tight! Dude, I'm gettin a Dell.

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: G4Dude ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 38
    I knew there would not be a G5, but in my heart, that's what I expected. I am disappointed... The pace of progress is too damn slow!
  • Reply 12 of 38
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well, no G5 Power Macs (told ya!), but you gotta admit, that new iMac is SWEET!

900MHz G3 with a cool slot-loading combo drive and an 80GB hard drive? Looks like it had a gorgeous screen too. It's going to be nice to move to a 15" LCD at 1024x768 after two years of this 800x600 stuff!

And that MOUSE! I didn't think could improve on the Pro Mouse.

And I TOLD you guys that the only iApp obviously missing was a basic, consumer-level photo editor! I LOVE how it removed red-eye with that cool magic eraser. What did Steve call it...the Exorcist tool? Gets the demonic-looking red-eye out of photos!

"The power of iSnap compels you!"

That was funny

Go Steve!

Nice to see that the G4 FINALLY broke the GHz barrier in the top two models, though. And you gotta admit, having the low-end at 933MHz is nothing to sneeze at. I'll take a near-GHz G4 for $1599! And hey, they ALL sport the SuperDrive, so what are you bitching about?

The best part? They FINALLY came down on those damn displays! The Cinema Display will probably start selling like crazy, now that it's $1999. And I've been hoping that 15" model got down to $399. And a $200 cut on the 17" makes it actually affordable!

This keynote was MUCH better than the one in New York six months ago.

I dug Phil Schiller's new haircut. Kinda going for that George Clooney/Julius Caesar thing.

And who was that hottie from Adobe who did the Photoshop 7 demo?!? Hubba hubba! Is she on the development team? Never saw her before!

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 38
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I am switching to Wintel

• Reply 14 of 38
    I can't believe they think an abacus and slide rule are revolutionary... I guess Moto really can't deliver enough processors. At least the beads are available in different colours.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Ohh, I am sooooooooo amazed, Dual 867's for the top of the line. And, a 12 inch iMac is just what everyone wants, hah. Thanks for nothing Steve, you f***ing ***hole.

Goodbye Apple, Hello Dell!

That good enough?
  • Reply 16 of 38
    OMG! the iMac is sOooOOOoo Ugly !!!!!! and it's only a G3 @ 800Mhz ... I can't believe it... it look like a PC... BEIGE ! and what did they do with the LowerMac? : the same motherboard !!!!!! only with a 1.13 Ghz G4 for the high-end !!!!! No PhotoShop , No iPhoto or whatever...

WTF !
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Well, I just placed my order on a HP......The new iMac looks like trash ..and the Dual 867 just isn't enough of a speed boost, dispite the Photoshop test where it was 70% faster than a 900mhz Celeron...

Arggg!!!!

• Reply 18 of 38
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Who would have thought that Steve would actually dump the Mac in favor of the Newton?
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Did you see how Steve chucked that printer when it wouldn't print a picture out of iPhoto?
  • Reply 20 of 38
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    This thread is great! But as they say, "many a true word spoken in jest." Don't be suprised if you really are this disappointed.

- Pook