Why buy Combo instead of CDRW?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've got to make a decision and I need some feedback.

Besides the DVD playback and 128 extra RAM, and pro speakers, why would I get the Combo model over the CDRW model?

Check this comparison:

$1299 (CDRW)

$76 (256K RAM)

$59 (Apple Pro speakers)

$ 1434 (700mHz G4 384K CDRW)

vs.

$1499 (700mHz G4 256K Combo )

I realize the slot for the mid-range combo is still open, but for $65 less, you get more RAM with the CDRW model.

Before anyone says DVD, I already have a dedicated player next to my TV.

Are there any other difference between the two models which I may have missed?

Thanks for any comments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Get the combo unit...currently your not saving enough to make it worthwile to build it up IMO. The open slot is nice and DVD is good for potential ROM applications(if they ever show up...bastards!).
  • Reply 2 of 13
    oopsie edit .

[ 03-13-2002: Message edited by: dartblazer ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 13
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    [quote]$76 (256K RAM) <hr></blockquote>

is this for so-dimm ram?? you can only add sodimm ram to the user accessible slot...the internal slot needs to be added by an apple authorized retailer/repair shop....if you add internal ram you have to add the service costs and you will lose the 128 ram in there....if you add external ram, it costs more because so-dimms are more expensive.....g

at crucial 256 so-dimms are 100 bucks...
  • Reply 4 of 13
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I'd go with the CDRW just for the 24X burner.... the combo is what 16X? I know it is slower... Just 1 more thing to think about...

-Paul
  • Reply 5 of 13
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    i'd go with the combo because it's going to be over 4 months until they ship the low end model!
  • Reply 6 of 13
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote] is this for so-dimm ram?? you can only add sodimm ram to the user accessible slot...the internal slot needs to be added by an apple authorized retailer/repair shop....if you add internal ram you have to add the service costs and you will lose the 128 ram in there....if you add external ram, it costs more because so-dimms are more expensive.....g<hr></blockquote>

Actually the $76 is for so-dimms. I forget which mail order house it was.

[quote]Originally posted by Max8319:

<strong>i'd go with the combo because it's going to be over 4 months until they ship the low end model!</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's probably the biggest issue. But then again, by that time, shouldn't there be a 1GHz iMac?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]Originally posted by psantora:

<strong>I'd go with the CDRW just for the 24X burner.... the combo is what 16X? I know it is slower... Just 1 more thing to think about...

-Paul</strong><hr></blockquote>

The Combo burns CDs at 12x.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    i don't think we'll see new ghz imacs at MWNY....i'd say atleast two months after it before the imac gets updated. it's nowhere close to normal production. i'd say once the imac production gets to a normal reliable level, then the imac will be updated 2 months after that.

i think the powermacs will get updated at MWNY (not MWTY!!!!!!) but it won't be enough to update the imac to a ghz. i think it will go up to 933 mhz (or something around here). the powermac will probably be only up to 1.2 ghz with low end models at a ghz so that wouldn't leave enough room for the lower end model of powermac; but then again, that's what they're doing right now.

ONLY TIME WILL TELL
  • Reply 9 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>

The Combo burns CDs at 12x.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I thought the superdrive is 12X and the combo was 16... how fast are the combos in the iBook 12", 14" and TiBook? 4x, 8x, 8x right? :eek: what a worthless 1000th post...

[ 03-17-2002: Message edited by: Paul ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>

I thought the superdrive is 12X and the combo was 16... how fast are the combos in the iBook 12", 14" and TiBook? 4x, 8x, 8x right? :eek: what a worthless 1000th post...

[ 03-17-2002: Message edited by: Paul ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Really? The Superdrive is 12x at burning CDs? I always thought they were pretty slow.

By the way Paul, why'd you change your name?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

Really? The Superdrive is 12x at burning CDs? I always thought they were pretty slow.

By the way Paul, why'd you change your name?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Shorter... easyer to rememeber...

i think the superdrive is 12X or 8X i dono either way it should be a whole lot faster...
  • Reply 12 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The specs on my DVR-104 are:

24x CD read

8x CD-R write

4x CD-RW write

6x DVD read

2x DVD-R write

1x DVD-RW write
  • Reply 13 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>The specs on my DVR-104 are:

24x CD read

8x CD-R write

4x CD-RW write

6x DVD read

2x DVD-R write

1x DVD-RW write</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's what I originally thought. How come the superdrives are so slow at burning CDs?