Name The Fossil!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Okay, I have no idea if I've shown this thing here before....please forgive me if I have. Basically, I want to find out what this is.

I found this thing in my yard back when I was a kid...some rough neighborhood kids had been throwing rocks at a metal outbuilding in our back yard and I suspect that one of them stole it from somewhere and used it for target practice. It left a bit of a dent in the side of the "tin house" as I recall. It's obviously sedimentary inside, so no I do not think that it's a meteorite.

I've scanned the thing in at high-res so you can see it up-close (look for those links below the thumbnails I'm including here). If you cut through the thing and looked at it in cross-section you'd find that the sides I've labeled 1 and 2 are the long sides, I did not scan the curved "fat" portion of the teardrop shape. Scan #3 is interesting. It's down a scan of the "bottom" of the piece and you can see that there's a little tag that projects beyond the sedimentary infill, as if the stippled pattern on the outside were some kind of skin (plant or animal) that was draped back onto itself.

Take a look. Hook your geologist and paleontologist friends into this discussion. Leonis should be quick to grab that texture for his animations. Ta!

Click here to view a MUCH larger view of SIDE 1

Click here to view a MUCH larger view of SIDE 2

Click here to view a MUCH larger view of The BOTTOM

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    I like Eugene's thread better.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

I like Eugene's thread better.

• Reply 3 of 21
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    o....kay.

Oh, okay, his "special" thread. Yes, but that's not a fossil - that's a HOTTIE. Big diff.

What about this rock then guys?
  • Reply 4 of 21
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Strom Thurmond.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    not a fossil -- its not bone.

maybe an artifact. the regularly spaced holes are bizarre.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    It's been suggested that it could be a plant fossil, it's certainly not an artifact, the structure of the thing is mineral, the "dimples" are not drilled into it....they're part of it.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    I missed seeing your post....does the Nikesaurus belong to the Cleatasaur family? Yeah, kind of cactoid looking, very strange. The whole piece is between 4 and 5 inches long. I think you can see the outer "skin" of the fossil is much darker than the infill.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    North American golf ball.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    According to a paleontologist friend of mine, "It looks like a lycopsid, a giant tree fern trunk. They have those regularly spaced holes because that's where the leaves were attached. Either that or a coral, but it looks too regular to be a coral."

For example: http://www.sierra.cc.ca.us/museum/treefern.htm

http://www.mdgekko.com/devonian/who/pages/lycopsid.html

http://www.snomnh.ou.edu/COLLECTIONS...bot/Lycops.htm

p.s. She wants to know what part of the world you found it in.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Meteorite?
  • Reply 11 of 21
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Sea sponge.

Note how it's not an imprint, that's *both sides* of a wall.

Sea sponges have that form, and show the same patterns inside and out.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    The end result of an early neolithic circumsicion ritual . . .

obviously
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Influenza

According to a paleontologist friend of mine, "It looks like a lycopsid, a giant tree fern trunk. They have those regularly spaced holes because that's where the leaves were attached. Either that or a coral, but it looks too regular to be a coral."

[snip]

p.s. She wants to know what part of the world you found it in.

Well I thought that I'd found it in my backyard, where some hoodlum neighborhood kids had been regularly throwing rocks at the little corrugated aluminum out-building that my Dad keeps his lawnmower in....always said that's where we found it...but my Dad jut told me that I found it down in the swamp down behind our house. (No, it isn't a Cthulhu statuette guys)

Either way, that place would be the environs around Atlanta, Georgia.

It would be awesome if it were dinosaur skin, but I think your friend is probably correct. I should try taking it to someplace here in the Atlanta area....perhaps Fernbank Museum.

Ooooo, er, or a sea sponge.

Well, I really ought to take it to be looked at by a paleobotanist some day - it could even be an as-yet unidentified species....

Hrm. Let me know if she knows any PB's in the Atlanta area.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    My friend did some more research and found out that plant fossils from the Pennsylvanian time perioad, which is when lycopsids lived, are commonly found in Georgia. There's even a book by the Geological Society of America on the plant fossils of Georgia. If you want someone to look at the fossil, she recommends the Museum of Natural History or a paleontologist at a university.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    And so the mighty data processing system that is "Apple Outsider" once again churns through the evidence like a insert amusing simile here.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Strom Thurmond.

That would be a lot funnier if he wasn't dead.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    ...and on a shelf in my bedroom! [shudder]
  • Reply 18 of 21
    I'm sure Richard Hoagland can tell you what it really is...
  • Reply 19 of 21
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Alien sex toy!