Just got first Mac - 15" TiBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well, my first mac's just arrived - a 1GHz, 15" DVD-burning TiBook. It puts my old laptop to shame... (half the thickness, bit less depth, slightly more wider.) Even the monitor's a lot thinner than my old machine.

There's just one iccle problem with it - I have a dead pixel! It's my 4th TFT, and first dead pixel... I suppose I was due one at some point. It's to the far right of the screen, so it's not that annoying. Pity that massaging it doesn't make it go away...

Now, off to see what Mac software I can download and play with...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Congrats! That 1GHz Tibook is a great machine...one of the best TiBook models- all the kinks have been worked out.

Hmmmmm- I guess my favorite apps are Safari, iTunes, iChat, and Mail. Those I use on a regular basis.

I really like Salling Clicker (for use with bluetooth phones).

Acquisition is a really good peer to peer program (I started to use the iTunes music store now though). Its interesting to see what you can find on there though.

Photoshop Elements 2 I use on a regular basis too- as well as Microsuck Word (it is the best word processor for mac).

Toast Titanium is a good burning program.

I also use iPhoto on a regular basis to download pics from my Canon 300D.

Peace.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Peel

Well, my first mac's just arrived - a 1GHz, 15" DVD-burning TiBook. It puts my old laptop to shame... (half the thickness, bit less depth, slightly more wider.) Even the monitor's a lot thinner than my old machine.

Congratulations on your new Mac! Did you get it new or used? I ask this because you wrote that it's a TiBook.

Quote:

There's just one iccle problem with it - I have a dead pixel! It's my 4th TFT, and first dead pixel... I suppose I was due one at some point. It's to the far right of the screen, so it's not that annoying. Pity that massaging it doesn't make it go away...

I thought massaging only worked with stuck pixels...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    It's used, but is in good condition.

Methinks the dead pixel has settled in to stay. But then, I've just been using the machine fairly intensively for the last 4 hours or so, and I haven't even noticed it. So I should be able to live with it.

Thanks for the program list - am just in the process of wandering from the beaten path, and installing some confusing Tex stuff (I need to do equations etc, and this seems the best way to do it. There's a lot of very confusing web pages out there about it, though...)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    www.macupdate.com

www.versiontracker.com

for all your software needs(free, share, demo,update)
  • Reply 5 of 6
    It's weird, but my first Mac had a dead pixel too, unfortunately it wasn't as unnoticeable as yours is. Mine is near the upper right hand corner, but because I know it's there, I can't stop staring at it. I just wish that I had a better first start to the Mac (seeing as how I had a bad battery as well) but I do love the iBook oh so much that I can't give it up.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    First off, congratulations and goodluck with the system, you made the right choice and wont regret it!

I remember getting my first Mac too, who doesnt!? It was a Power PC Performa 6 something, God its awful that I dont remember, my brother would. I was pretty young, it was about 9 years ago so that would make me 11 at the time. It's funny because I remember our computers before that were PC's and the only thing I did with them was play games. The 4 games I played on those ancient things were, Pirates of the Barburry Coast, some Donald Duck game, Reader Rabbit, and of course a Links golf game. I only really remember the interface was DOS and had to enter some stupid commands to lauch games ; and then something, LOL!

The Mac came one glorious Christmas morning because my older brother Patrick was begging for one. Pat used to just read everything he could get his hands on about Macs, from Macworld to Macwarehouse, he knew it all. My parents caved in, bought the Mac and none of us ever looked back. I wonder if my parents would have bought the Mac if they knew what kind of addiction it created in Pat and I? Anyway, that interface change was so brilliant I could barely comprehend something so sophisticatedly simplistic! My bro read the manual from cover to cover in a matter of days, and he showed me as we went along. System 8.6 was nice, the Performa did well for us...until the year of 1999.

The Performa was lagging terribly by this year so my dad brought home a Mac from his office for us to use along with him, it was a decent step up from what we had. But it wasnt until the GLORIOUS year of 2000 that things really changed.

It was that Christmas (I guess I was 15 at the time) that I KNEW we were getting a new computer, I was thrilled. I searched the house high and low, sure enough I found what I thought was the only computer. I found a beautiful Indigo iMac DV SE 450 G3 box...stunned that I was about to recieve (along with my 4 brothers) such a lavish gift! I was immensely happy but tried not to let on to my parents that I spoiled the surprise...little did I know that I did'nt spoil anything.

Christmas morning came, and I was confused, because I saw 3 enormous boxes...they were the last things we were allowed to open. First came the iMac out of its box, brilliantly blue and ready to roll...I thanked my parents joyously. Then we opened another large, LARGE box, inside was a massive 19'' Flat CRT display...CONFUSION SET IN.

I opened the third and final box, and what to my wondering eyes would appear? But a miniature G4 Cube in all of its crystaline veneer! I was stunned, a few months earlier I was watching the choppy introduction of the Cube over a quicktime stream of the Stevenote...And now here it was, in my house, a G4!

Of course my love affair with Apple and the Mac has never waivered, I funded my own purchase of an iMac 800 superdrive and am now awaiting my iPod mini (see I love mini stuff). Basically, its kind of sad, any large sum of money I've ever had goes to computer related purchases, oh well youre only young once! You may be wondering what has happened with the Cube and iMac? The iMac is running panther down the hall from me in my younger (16) brother's room, and the Cube is humming (silently) away downstairs for the family to use (along with its hillariously, contradictory massive 19'' CRT).

My dad always wanted all of his kids to have their own computer growing up (not just because it would lessen the severity of his headaches by not having to deal with fighting children) because he wanted each of us to have an effective learning tool. He accomplished that amazingly, with 5 kids in the family. Not all of us need the top of the line stuff, Andy's iMac is agging a bit but its fine for his Word, iChat, and iTunes. Kip the youngest (11) uses the Cube for iChat and the backyard sports games. Pat (20) has a Titanium Powerbook 1 Ghz Superdrive, as he needs to be portable and powerful since he is studying abroad and is into digital video and photography. Nick is the oldest (22) and doesnt need a computer for anything but iTunes, Email, and Word, so he has an iBook G3 333. I sold Nick my iPod original 5 Gig for 50 bucks since I just "upgraded" to a mini. He's a musician (a violinist to be exact) at the Cleveland Insitute of Music, I thought he deserved a price break!

All in all, my joy, use, and knowledge of the Mac is increasing in productive and fun ways. I have a job to fund my hobby and hopefully someday life's work. Basically, the Mac changed my life as much as it could possibly change anyone's. I went from football player, sports jock to the polar opposite (minus the physical difference).

Haha, end of post!