How apparently 'everyone' lost the NH primary

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well I've been watching all the news since the polls closed yesterday. Basically, the way it was being predicted on Tuesday morning was that John Kerry would win, but Howard Dean would close the gap. They also predicted that John Edwards would come in 3rd, with Lieberman and Clark battling it out for 4th.

They said for it to be a success for any campaign, Kerry would have to win big, Dean would have to show that he can comptete with John Kerry, that Edwards had to finish a strong 3rd, that Lieberman had to finish in double digets, and that Clark had to finish 3rd.

Well after the votes were counted, the outcome was this:

John Kerry won big, but according to the analysts, he didn't win big enough. Forget the fact he won by double digits, apparently it wasn't good enough.

Howard Dean closed the gap a little bit, but not enough to show good momentum going to the Feb 3rd states. Forget that he was able to close the gap quite well considering the huge amount of conservative voters that turned out and that he gets 9 delegates, since he was ahead last month, so this was a 'devastating' loss.

Wesley Clark came in 3rd, but he had a bad debate showing so 'he's done'. Forget that this was his first time EVER on a ballot for political office, he wouldn't bash Michael Moore!

John Edwards came in a close 4th, but he blew his Iowa bounce and has lost momentum. Forget that his real important race is next week in South Carolina, he wasn't top 3 in NH, and couldn't beat Wesley Clark who the media hates.

Finally, Joe Lieberman almost cracked double digits but fell just short. Unfortunately for him, he decided to claim 3rd place in the race which was fairly ridiculous. Poor Joe, he actually *did* lose big.

Really, I do think that the media was very negative coming out of New Hampshire, and they've been negative on everyone. I'm really not happy that they still are dumping on Clark after his good showing yesterday, but I realize they are doing it to all the candidates. Now we wait to see what happens on Feb 3rd.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    How did Sharpton do? Big win for him?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    you have lots of good points here. however, the Dean campaign doesn't seem to be viewing it as a loss. Honestly, these states (iowa and NH) are more about mindshare than anything. Michigan et al have a lot more clout per delegate votes.

My point: still anyone's game!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

How did Sharpton do? Big win for him?

Frontrunner status.

Aries 1B
  • Reply 4 of 4
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Stop listening to analysts!

They predicted Dean would win both Iowa and NH...

but he didn't...they said Kerry was out of it... but he isn't.

They may know alot but they also don't know enough.

LOTS can happen next tuesday. Lieberman might even win Delaware.

You could have almost every candidate; other than Sharpton and Kucinich; with wins next week.

This isn't going to sort itself out for at least a month. to 6 weeks.

Which is good... the more press the Democrats get the better. While Bush goes from one empty photo op to the next the real excitement is around the campaigns.

The Democratic Convention might even be more than a coronation this year... where the RNC's version will be a snoozer... one long Bush media hype fest... unless there's some really good protests and chaos going on outside!