New canon EOS D1 mark 2 digital camera and lenses

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The canon french site, by error display the characteristics of three new products :

the EOS D1 mark 2 and his 8,5 millions captor CMOS, digic 2 processor, 8,5 image sec, buffer for 40 pictures, improved obturator with a life expectancy of 200 000 shots, a 45 af colimator ...

The 28-300/3,5-5,6 L is USM, specialy improved for the digital camera

The compact and revolutionnary DO USM IS EF 70/300 who is the first zoom to have a diffracted lens of three layer. It feature also a image stabilizer, and the quality of this lens is on par with the world famous L serie from Canon.

All this PDF file (in french) are avalaible here : link

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Argh. Damn you Canon. And the Nikon was looking sweet too. Have to wait on the pricing of the 1D-II now... I hope Canon releases it for about the same price as the 1D so it forces Nikon to reduce the price on the D2H.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    DAMN! that looks like one SWEET camera 8.2MP and 8.5FPS. WOW!

And to think Nikon just released a 4.5MP competitor.

8.5 by 8.2. That's a lot of image processing power right there!

And since we know that it was really processing power more so than fab tech holding back overall MP, we might soon see 12-20MP 2-4fps cameras.

WOW.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    There seems to be a bit of discussion on the www wether this is a real pdf or not.. time will tell with the expo thing in a few weeks
  • Reply 4 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

There seems to be a bit of discussion on the www wether this is a real pdf or not.. time will tell with the expo thing in a few weeks

Or in a few moments.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0401/04...neos1dmkii.asp

$4500? D2H it is! Or is it? ISO 100 (and even 50) is very enticing... The Nikon bodies are much better laid out, IMO.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Oh goody

Price seems nice too

Edit - Well if you had the $$ to spend that is ...
  • Reply 6 of 11
    69MP per second!!!

This really does open up some intriguing possibilities. I'm interested to know how Canon updates their digic processor. I would expect some real resolution improvements over the next year or two, now that a their is a technology that allows for this level of in-camera processing. I would assume that it has been possible for some time, but that making a processor that allowed for decent battery life/heat in a small camera enclosure wasn't neccessarily easy.

Look at the possibilities:

12MP at 6fps

17MP at 4fps

34MP at 2fps

Or, something to move X3 type full color sensors along past thier current 3.5 X3 (10.5MP) ratings.

A touch over 6fps for a current foveon X3

or

A 5-6MP X3 (15-18MP) at 3-5fps

or

An 11MP X3 (33MP) at 2fps.

It's perhaps not too likely that Canon would sell Foveon a digic, and perhaps it might not even work for an X3, but the general processing power is here, now! Others will follow. I wonder if this has anything to do with Kodak cancelling their digital back models. If big big resolutions are coming out, it would be far cheaper for most medium format photogs to switch to FF 35mm DSLR systems.

We know from the boys at Foveon and elsewhere that they're confident they can shrink photodiodes down to 6u using current tech, and that process improvements should see that fall to 4u before the laws of physics pose too many problems in terms of noise and dynamic range. Consumer digicams already employ far smaller pixels, but they aren't particularly good when it comes to high ISO noise or dynamic range.

Anyone willing to do the math could give us a nice resolution roadmap for the next 18 months.

I think we'll see 8 to 20 MP in DSLR's. 6 and 8 at the low end DSLR (300D, D70, entry Pentax etc) and for high end FPS monsters (like the Mark II) cameras; 8-12MP at the pro DSLR entry (EOS 10D, D100, Fuji S2 level); and 14-20 at the FF high end.

Good times.

We're gonna need faster computers!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I don't think it's necessary to go beyond 12 millions pixel CMOS detector for 24/36. At this definition digital camera have a much better rendering than films.

If you put more pixels, they would be smaller and you will decrease the sensibility of the detector. And sensibility is the greatest quality of EOS camera. reducing the size of pixel detectors will reduce the sensibility.

12 millions detectors rocks, and photoshop interlopations algorithms will be able to produce a 24 millions pixels sample.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    iDunno,

It may not be "neccessary" but it could be advantageous. I'm thinking particularly of medium format or product shooters. They make more use of low ISO than high ISO, and they have studio lighting and multi exposure options to resolve any lingering dynamic range problems.

Plunking 20MP in a camera that covers ISO 50-400 and lets you use 35mm lenses to do what was previously medium format work. That's a nice cost effective (and sleek) solution to the camera plus back systems now in use. Landscape photogs will like it too.

Anyway, engineers seem to agree that they can improve photosites such that they can get bit smaller whithout degrading high ISO and dynamic range performance compared to today's DSLRs.

For something like th Mark II Canon, it would be better to use advancements to increase DR and decrease noise, but for something like a DCS14n it might be better to hold noise and DR and increase resolution.

Different strokes.

BTW, I love the way you write anglais.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

iDunno,

It may not be "neccessary" but it could be advantageous. I'm thinking particularly of medium format or product shooters. They make more use of low ISO than high ISO, and they have studio lighting and multi exposure options to resolve any lingering dynamic range problems.

Plunking 20MP in a camera that covers ISO 50-400 and lets you use 35mm lenses to do what was previously medium format work. That's a nice cost effective (and sleek) solution to the camera plus back systems now in use. Landscape photogs will like it too.

Anyway, engineers seem to agree that they can improve photosites such that they can get bit smaller whithout degrading high ISO and dynamic range performance compared to today's DSLRs.

For something like th Mark II Canon, it would be better to use advancements to increase DR and decrease noise, but for something like a DCS14n it might be better to hold noise and DR and increase resolution.

Different strokes.

BTW, I love the way you write anglais.

Thanks for my anglais.

Well i agree that for studio uses, a 20 millions pixels detector will rock. And you are right to predict that these type of detector will arrive in the next coming years. If we follow the moore law, they will be there in less than three years. I think that the limitation will come from the lenses. The resolution of the lens will be too poor to make a real difference : what is the interest to have 20 millions of pixel if the picture is blurry ?

I think that the best investissement in digital camera will still be the lenses.

I have decided to buy a rebel digital with a 17-40 L (i have already a macro 50 2,5 and a 35-105 from canon) : the eos 10 did not worth the price and will be updated in the coming months (but not immediatly)
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I'm not so sure about the "lense" limitation. We've been hearing about it or a while, but every new camera that comes out seems to do just fine. And, the best evidence that lenses are up to the task is probably 35mm film scans. When you drop a slide into a scanner, you see that 35mm still goes on offering quite a bit more resolution than even FF DSLRs. The issue is grain! That means the lenses typically still have performance to spare, film is the limiter. Some lenses will hit a wall sooner than others but the best scanners can get 4800dpi from a 35mm negative -- well over 16MP.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

We're gonna need faster computers!

That's the real problem with higher MP cameras. I've stuck with my close to 3 year-old 2MP camera because I have yet to upgrade my Mac. If I get a new digital camera, I'll need more processing power and more disk space.

Escher