Firewire Hard Drive

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I got a VST Firewire 30Gb Hard drive from a friend. I plugged it in and tried to drag over a folder of JPGs. I got an error message and when i checked the hard drive the folder was in there but missing some items.

I went to first aid to see if it can check out an external drive but it wouldnt let me. It did say that 13GB was being used even though nothing was on it at the time.

Also, the drive will start humming and whirring every so often even though its not being used.

Is this drive supposed to come with software to get it to work? I've never used one before.My friend said he doesnt have any software for it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    if he has a wintel and you have a mac, that can sometimes make a difference.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

if he has a wintel and you have a mac, that can sometimes make a difference.

Nope, hes got a Mac
  • Reply 3 of 4
    hmmm... i'm stumped then... i guess verify permissions or something, and thats all i can give you.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

hmmm... i'm stumped then... i guess verify permissions or something, and thats all i can give you.

I tried that. It doesnt even give me an option to check permissions on that hard drive. First aid places the bard drive in the list but 'verify permissions' is not highlighted so i cant do anything.