Will Republican Criticism of Bush Stick?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Limbaugh has a piece criticizing Bush's fiscal policies. Read it here.

I don't think Rush "gets" what's going on economically here, which seems to me to be little more than the old "starve the beast" approach.

Cheers

Scott

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    You just made me depressed by showing me that this site exists . .
  • Reply 2 of 18
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    bush is spending like a drunken sailor. thing is, a lot of people who vote republican do so based on fiscal (in theory) policy, over social policy.

bush is really pushing the fiscal aspect of conservatism out the window.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    John Kerry's ad campaign in October:

Republicans - fiscally liberal and socially conservative.

Democrats - fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

Which one are you?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    All I can say is it bodes well for the Libertarian Party.

(I'm hoping, anyway.)

GARY NOLAN 2004

And don't fool yourself, neither Kerry nor Bush are fiscally conservative.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    you cant have a working liberal social policy without expenditures. its about time people realize this.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

you cant have a working liberal social policy without expenditures. its about time people realize this.

I think the tough part is educating people on how liberal social policy actually improves their lives. The right has done such a thorough job of demonizing "liberal" that I would wager when most people hear the phrase "liberal social policy" they think of some kind of hellish vision of enforced homosexuality and property seizures, instead of interstate highways, public schools, college scholarships, etc.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Depends on what you mean by social liberal.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

I think the tough part is educating people on how liberal social policy actually improves their lives. The right has done such a thorough job of demonizing "liberal" that I would wager when most people hear the phrase "liberal social policy" they think of some kind of hellish vision of enforced homosexuality and property seizures, instead of interstate highways, public schools, college scholarships, etc.

Liberal social policy is a disaster. It does little or nothing to improve lives...in fact I would argue it makes them much worse. We should be spending money on roads and schools, I agree. If we were spending our trillions of dollars on roads and schools, national defense, science and exploration, the arts, and the like, then you'd hear vbery little from me.

Instead, we spend it on prescription drugs, free healthcare for the poor, corporate welfare, a massive federal bureaucrocy and social programs which hurt people more than help them. What you don't understand is that while spending on problems such as poverty has increased expontentially over the past 50 years, the percentage of people who are "poor" has only dropped very, very slightly. "Liberal Social Policy" creates dependence and apathy. It creates a governemt program for EVERYTHING.

As for Bush, I have two major criticisms:

1) He spends too much money. Period.

2) He stands for too much big government.

I'll still support him, but these are two major problems for conservatives.

He'll still get his base though....so no, I don't think the criticism will stick.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Are there no factories are there no workhouses? Well if they're going to die they'd better do it and decrease the surplus population!

Acctually if I were to list the criticisms I have with Bush I'd be here for hours. If I were to sum up one of the worst parts I think " Spends like a drunken sailor " comes pretty close.

Just like a drunken sailor he isn't to good at where he spends his ( our ) money either.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

As for Bush, I have two major criticisms:

1) He spends too much money. Period.

2) He stands for too much big government.

I'll still support him, but these are two major problems for conservatives.

He'll still get his base though....so no, I don't think the criticism will stick.

So what conservatives are left with are the religious right-type views. "We're all anti-gay" - that's what unites conservatives under Bush. Clinton said the era of big government is over, and Bush started it back up again. And it's not just Clinton. Bush is spending (social spending, mind you) more than Carter as well. And it's not just Bush. Reagan was a big spender too. Sure, conservatives blamed Congress, despite the fact that Reagan called for larger budgets every time than Congress approved, and despite the fact that the Senate was held by Repubs during most of the Reagan years. But now that Repubs control everything, they don't even have that excuse anymore, no matter how thin it was.

At this point it's just inertia for conservatives: "I voted Republican before, and I'm going to do it again." The conservative ideology is in utter shambles. The cut-taxes-while-increasing-spending policy has been proved a disaster over and over and over again. The anti-gay religious right social conservative views are all they have left. They should feel proud. I'm sure they'll win some Bible belt states with that message. But their national ideology is done.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Liberal social policy is a disaster. It does little or nothing to improve lives...in fact I would argue it makes them much worse.

Liberal social policy got Western culture out of the 18th century and into the modern era, and yet for some reason people seem to forget the reason it came about in the first place. You want to see what your vision is like, go and read Engels's _The Conditions of the Working Class in England_ for an eye-opener. There's an online version here. I really can't recommend it highly enough.

This all goes back to Henry VIII, really. When Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries, their absence was sorely felt. The church and monasteries and whatnot had traditionally taken care of the poor at a local level (funded, of course, by *mandatory* tithing). When they were gone (and they don't reappear in England until the middle of the c19), government had to bear the burden.

The results of their resistance to "liberal social policy" were, quite simply, disastrous.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I'm sure they'll win some Bible belt states with that message. But their national ideology is done.

Actually, before I left Oklahoma, lots of folks were grumbling about the lack of conservatism among the Republicans.

The question isn't "what if they switch their votes," which they won't do. The question is what happens if they stay home? Oklahoma just elected a Dem. governor, for instance.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    The Scorched Earth Party

Quote:

So. What is the Scorched Earth Party?

* It is a fresh breeze, over a golden meadow.

* It is the rosy blush, in the cheek of a small child.

* It is a jackboot in the groin, for those too slow to dodge.

* It is the Doublemint Twins. In your bed.

* It is the genetic banks, that put the blush in the cheek of that small, powerfully and artifically augmented child.

* It is thugs bearing lead pipes, sneaking into Michael Bolton's house in the middle of the night to administer sweet justice.

* It is the joys of feeling fresh.

* It is taking those who beat the crap out of you on the playground, and putting them on a secret island, where the Sodomy Squirrels make their existance one long, living hell.

The Scorched Earth Party is the last true bastion of honesty in the undiluted smegma bath that is American Politics. We want to serve you. We want to make your life very, very, VERY different. We want to use you. We want to sleep with you.

We were the first political party to respond to the threat of Barney, and the first to advocate beating those responsible to death with lead pipes.

We were the first political party to advocate renaming the Washington Monument the Big Stone U.S. Penis and putting big, orange foam testicles at the bottom.

• Reply 14 of 18
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    More proof that all politicians are really the same, and the differences are arbitrary.

"I am whatever you're not."

-- some Democrat, or was it a Republican?

PS: I made the quote up
  • Reply 15 of 18
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Liberal social policy is a disaster. It does little or nothing to improve lives...in fact I would argue it makes them much worse.

Are we worse off than we were in the 1800's? No.

EDIT: midwinter, I didn't see your post.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Do you know the cost of future misery?

Have you lost your sense of sustainability?

We are just a step away

From realizing what we strive to be

But we've got to break out

From this insulated, blind and lame senility

Wake up the new america wo-oh!

Transcend the mass hysteria wo-oh!

Change is the thing you're wary of wo-oh!

We need a new america wo-oh!

Laurels, human triumph

Bestowments from the past

Victories don't mean a thing

If they don't last

We are just marching toward extinction

With blinders on our eyes

Jeopardizing everything

We've learned and come to realize

You call that wise?

Open your eyes america wo-oh!

See through the lies they tell to us wo-oh!

Confront the fears that worry us wo-oh!

We need a new america wo-oh!

We don't have to be afraid to re-invent

We've got to start to build

Progress and implement

For when we take our fill

And never pay the price

We only build ourselves

A fleeting, false paradise

You can live in staunch denial

And mark me as your enemy

But I'm just a voice among the throng

Who want a brighter destiny

They say with me

We are the new america wo-oh!

This is the new america? Wo-oh
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

EDIT: midwinter, I didn't see your post.

No problem. I fear, however, that few will listen, and that that even fewer will take a look at the Cambridge History of the Prison, and that even fewer than that will read Foucault's Discipline & Punish.

The arguments that people are making about social policy have been tried before. They failed. Miserably.

Cheers

Scott