What is the chance of capturing this shot?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

What you are seeing is whip cream being sprayed out of a broken whip cream dispenser into someone's mouth after the person took a shot.

This photo was taken entirely by accident at a party on a Sony DSC-P72 with all settings at auto.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    1/1
  • Reply 2 of 19
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

1/1

Oops. Mods please change the treads title so it actually makes sense.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

Oops. Mods please change the treads title so it actually makes sense.

Hmm. For the next couple of hours you are stuck with non english mods

Would "What are the probability of getting "this" shot right?" suffice?
  • Reply 4 of 19
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Hmm. For the next couple of hours you are stuck with non english mods

Would "What are the probability of getting "this" shot right?" suffice?

How about: "What is the chance of capturing this shot?"
  • Reply 5 of 19
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    BTW. Look at the photo. Its turned 90 to the left. The can is over the mouth and if in fact it was broken it could just be dripping. Then the probability is much higher.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    the probability of it happening was 100%, because it did.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

the probability of it happening was 100%, because it did.

: christal clear logic.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    in my electronics class last semester, someone made a sound triggered flash for their final project. Simple circuit, but the photography can be very interesting.

He got some great shots, including a brick going through a monitor. Here he is popping a balloon.

• Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

in my electronics class last semester, someone made a sound triggered flash for their final project. Simple circuit, but the photography can be very interesting.

He got some great shots, including a brick going through a monitor. Here he is popping a balloon.

I've been trying to do that but with a little bit of water and other substances/materials (I was unable to get any dissent pictures because I don't have an infrared trigger, could not expose the camera to danger and the lighting was crap). When you look at an exploding ballon with a bit of water from the bottom, it's even better (also with confetti).
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

: christal clear logic.

well seriously. normally when we consider empirical experiments we consider a small stage, where all things are fixed aside from a few variables. but if you expand the realm to the entirety of the universe, where all conceivable and inconceivable variables are included, marked and accounted for, the shot would be exactly replicated everytime. of course, we can't demonstrate this in any practical way (as we've yet discovered the means to duplicate the universe), but in theory. if you could exactly dup the universe at a time right before that picture, that picture would result.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    I saw a great picture, it was a promotional poster for a now defunct camera maker, tokina I think, really old, like late 80s, the picture showed a hand holding an egg, with a bullet piercing it.

very neat.

edit: just did some searching, haven't found the picture yet, but the company is still in business apparently, and they make lenses only, not cameras.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    If anybody has the time or interest. . .

There is this amazing article in an Arts and Antiques magazine from like 1990 or maybe 1994. The article is about the person who invented the strobelight flash, and took pictures at 1/1000000 of a second, a speed that could visually stop a bullet. He took some great photos, some of which are in the magazine, and discovered some cool stuff like: When a bullet is going through a lightbulb, and farside of the bulb is already cracked before the bullet reaches it. And playing cards look mad cool halfway shot.

He also used sound triggered flashes, so when the gun went off, depending on where the microphone (they knew the speeds of light and sound apparently) was, they could know where the bullet would be when the camera took the picture, and the strobe flashed.

I will see if I can borrow this magazine from a friend again and scan it since its probably not so common.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by xionja

There is this amazing article in an Arts and Antiques magazine from like 1990 or maybe 1994. The article is about the person who invented the strobelight flash, and took pictures at 1/1000000 of a second, a speed that could visually stop a bullet. He took some great photos, some of which are in the magazine, and discovered some cool stuff like: When a bullet is going through a lightbulb, and farside of the bulb is already cracked before the bullet reaches it. And playing cards look mad cool halfway shot.

He also used sound triggered flashes, so when the gun went off, depending on where the microphone (they knew the speeds of light and sound apparently) was, they could know where the bullet would be when the camera took the picture, and the strobe flashed.

I will see if I can borrow this magazine from a friend again and scan it since its probably not so common.

That must be the guy that coordinated the Tokina promotional thing I'm talking about, because that's the method that they used for the picture I'm thinking of.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xionja

There is this amazing article in an Arts and Antiques magazine from like 1990 or maybe 1994. The article is about the person who invented the strobelight flash, and took pictures at 1/1000000 of a second, a speed that could visually stop a bullet. He took some great photos, some of which are in the magazine, and discovered some cool stuff like: When a bullet is going through a lightbulb, and farside of the bulb is already cracked before the bullet reaches it. And playing cards look mad cool halfway shot...

Harold Edgerton photography
  • Reply 15 of 19
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

BTW. Look at the photo. Its turned 90 to the left. The can is over the mouth and if in fact it was broken it could just be dripping. Then the probability is much higher.

Ding Ding Ding DINGGG!

We have a winner.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

i think yer right
  • Reply 17 of 19
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member

That's really cool 8)

As far as the original image goes, it's not only mis-oriented, but it's rotated like 80° and cropped at an angle. This way the drip isn't parallel to the bottom of the photo. But, look at the bottom of the frame... the drip is perpendicular to the frame.