if lieberman steps down who gets his voters?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i don't see his campaign going much past feb 3rd...so who do his voters go to?

if edward loses SC, will he throw down? if so, who do his people turn to?

and when/if dean steps down (if his money runs out shortly after 2/3) who will get his people??

g

edit to add my thoughts (like anyone cares)

lieberman (a conservative democrat) votes go to clark (since people are so worried that he is really a repub in democratic clothing)...the conservative demos should like him

edwards is a tougher call but...southern voters could also go to clark--he is a southern, military man, loves his momma

dean people are the wild card here...dean is running as a washington outsider and so is clark, so some dean people may swing to him...and both dean and clark are known more as straight shooters than the other candidates ... but dean people are more liberal and dean is a NE guy, so many could go to kerry

don't rightly know...think edwards will end up losing SC but will he then drop out? things get tight after next week

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Dean is not going to step down. He has said he's going all the way to the convention.

If he does not win the nomination, many Dean supporters I know will either stay home or vote third party. I plan to stay home if he does not win the nomination.

Lieberman's supporters will go to one of the Bush-lite Democrats.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Dean is not going to step down. He has said he's going all the way to the convention.

If he does not win the nomination, many Dean supporters I know will either stay home or vote third party. I plan to stay home if he does not win the nomination.

That is more than pathetic!!!

that is absolutely idiotic . . . .

ban me if you must, but that attitude is ultimately childish, and, unfortunatley speaks volumes for the integrity of Dean supporters, IF it reflects their opinions

[EDIT]: ok, I'll apologize to the mods in advance . . . but, I'll leave my post up to show why I am so contrite . . .
  • Reply 3 of 9
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    ah, the third dean people option...stay home

i hope the conservatives who don't like bush too much right now do the same

i hope the dean people (if dean doesn't get the democratic nod) still come and vote...the chances of defeating bush are much better if they do...

personally i think (again, should dean not get the nod) that dean should be offered the karl rove position by whichever democrat wins the white house

g

as for the "bush-lite" democrats...i much prefer them to the actual bush...they are smarter and not republicans...so they are ok in my book
  • Reply 4 of 9
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    You can't keep running if you don't win. If you don't win, you're going to run out of money, and Dean's almost out. When you tell your campaign workers they aren't going to be paid for 2 weeks, and that you're going to stop airing ads on radio and television, the writing is on the wall.

Clark is going to do well in Oklahoma, Arizona, and North Dakota at the very least. He's been under the radar, so people don't expect much from him. Dean, on the other hand, has to win something or else it's a big problem for him since he was the frontrunner.

If Lieberman is out, his votes will most likely be spread throughout the field.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Don't screw the rest of the country by being petulant. I think any of the current Democrats would be better than Bush. Even if you consider some of them "Bush-lite", "lite" is less Bush than Bush, and that's a good thing.

It may be fashionable cynicism to say that there's not that much difference between the Democrats and the Republicans, but it's simply not true. Maybe some of the current crop of Democrats don't lean as far left as some might like them to, but they're all against continuing big tax cuts that benefit the wealthiest Americans, they're all for stronger environmental protection than Bush, they're all for improving our reputation within the international community, they're all pro-choice (varying somewhat on late-term abortions), they'd all end Bush's efforts to pack the courts with extremely conservative judges, etc.

I'm fairly certain that Dean himself would much prefer you to get out and vote for whichever Democrat gets the nomination than to see you stay home or vote for some no-chance candidate as a flippant form of protest.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I don't really get to vote in the primaries because my state votes in October or something, but as a putative Lieberman voter myself, I'd say next in line for my support would be Edwards, then Clark, then Kerry.

Edwards just is a fantastic communicator, and I also like his basic message: it's a kind of optimistic populism. He has that ability to talk about economic and political fairness, which I like, but without it sounding like "class warfare."

Clark is a bit more of an unknown than Edwards, is not as good of a communicator, and has a less well-developed theme. But his military and foreign policy credentials are as good as you can get, and his domestic policies, while unoriginal, are safe and right out of the playbook. Kerry has too long of a Senate record to be safe from the Republican hit squad and seems to have unprincipled and wavering positions on important issues. But he'd be better than Dean, for me anyway.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    With Liebermann's record of spearheading a corporate lobby effort to stop legislation, that would have been passed by Clinton, that would have strengthened the powers of the SEC to oversee corporate misdeeds, --all at the behest of his constituents in the Connecticut Insurance industry-- he could never get my vote . . . well, unless it were just him and Bush

and now look . . . Insurance is leaving Con anyway . . . .
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

That is more than pathetic!!!

that is absolutely idiotic . . . .

ban me if you must, but that attitude is ultimately childish, and, unfortunatley speaks volumes for the integrity of Dean supporters, IF it reflects their opinions

[EDIT]: ok, I'll apologize to the mods in advance . . . but, I'll leave my post up to show why I am so contrite . . .

it IS idiotic, and nonsense, when and if dean steps down he'll endorse the nominee, dean should be proud for energizing the party and will make a great keynote at the democratic convention.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

With Liebermann's record of spearheading a corporate lobby effort to stop legislation, that would have been passed by Clinton, that would have strengthened the powers of the SEC to oversee corporate misdeeds, --all at the behest of his constituents in the Connecticut Insurance industry-- he could never get my vote . . . well, unless it were just him and Bush

and now look . . . Insurance is leaving Con anyway . . . .

I don't know anything about that - if I did, it might be enough to change my opinion, but I doubt it. I know enough about his philosophy and other positions to have formed my opinion of him.

But if you're willing to let one vote like that influence your opinion of a Senator that much, that doesn't bode well for what the Republicans will be able to do to JFK.