Apple buying Pixar??

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
CNN money discusses Apple buying Pixar.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/01/30/technology/apple/

I did a quick calculation. Steve owns 55% of Pixar that coes to about 30 million shares at 66 bucks a piece. If Apple bought Pixart buy swaping 3 Apple Shares for each Pixar that would give Steve 90 mil. Shares and approximately 20-25% ownership in Apple. (depending on if they issue new shares or not)

Just an observation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Hmmm.

Apple buys Pixar, sets up own distribution system for online digital content from well respected studio (Pixar).

Uses clout from iTMS and this proof of concept to show other studios "It *can* be done, and we know how...", gets them to sign on.

QuickTime Movie Store, anyone?
  • Reply 2 of 18
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Apple buying Pixar is a dumb idea that is only being discussed because of Jobs' relationship with both companies.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

Apple buying Pixar is a dumb idea that is only being discussed because of Jobs' relationship with both companies.

Ding!

There is no reason for these companies to merge. Pixar animates films. Apple makes personal computers. The only connections are the CEO and the fact that they are both related to computers.

You have to ask these two questions:

What good would it do for Apple to start making movies?

What good would it do for Pixar to start selling personal computers?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Apple does not need Pixar to make a QuickTime Movie Store. But, the bandwidth of the masses does allow for this entirely, at the moment, it will come eventually. If it takes more than an hour to do it, it won't even be close to reality.

From CNN.com

"Yesterday, in the home of Apple Computer CEO Steve Jobs, Pixar CEO Steve Jobs met with the Apple CEO to discuss terms of putting the content of Pixar (post-Disney era) on the new QuickTime Movie Store. Jobs said he was very excited that Jobs was allowing the content to be put on the new store. Jobs then went back to his bath, with Jobs joining him. Further questions arise: 'Are the two CEO's in cahoots?'"
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Aside from the obvious "Steve runs both companies" thing, there are other synergies here.

Apple is increasingly getting into the media production and media distribution thing.

On the distribution side, as Kickaha mentions, the Pixar connection would give Apple clout for making a movie download service, a la iTMS.

On the production side, Apple would get tons of high-end rendering apps, for free! Pixar would be running on OS X, developing custom apps to do all the fancy stuff they do in their movies. When it's all done, Apple takes the app, throws a nice GUI on it, and releases it as a super-high-end app or plug-in. The software would be OS X only, could be marketed as "The software Pixar used for yadda, yadda", and would only cost them as much as developing the GUI... no multi-million dollar purchase required.

Plus, Apple could point to the fact that Pixar is running on Apple hardware as proof that you can run a studio on Macs.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    go over to the appleoutsider for the original thread about all this.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Ding!

There is no reason for these companies to merge. Pixar animates films. Apple makes personal computers. The only connections are the CEO and the fact that they are both related to computers.

You have to ask these two questions:

What good would it do for Apple to start making movies?

What good would it do for Pixar to start selling personal computers?

DingDingDing. Around here the admins are always right.

When I read the news I thought "Good for Pixar. But where are they gonna find distribution like Disney? How are they gonna get Happy Meal deals now?" and the answer is not Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Steve is going to be too busy running Disney to bother with buying Pixar.

• Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by TrevorD

[BOn the production side, Apple would get tons of high-end rendering apps, for free! Pixar would be running on OS X, developing custom apps to do all the fancy stuff they do in their movies. When it's all done, Apple takes the app, throws a nice GUI on it, and releases it as a super-high-end app or plug-in. The software would be OS X only, could be marketed as "The software Pixar used for yadda, yadda", and would only cost them as much as developing the GUI... no multi-million dollar purchase required.[/B]

Here is a novel idea. Let Apple develop a nice GUI for the mars rovers OS and everybody could figure out how to drive those seet little cars around. And all they needed to make them fly was to add a "3-d Manuveor" check box.

Don´t know why I wrote taht but it makes just as much sense as the post I was quoting.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by TrevorD

On the production side, Apple would get tons of high-end rendering apps, for free! Pixar would be running on OS X, developing custom apps to do all the fancy stuff they do in their movies. When it's all done, Apple takes the app, throws a nice GUI on it, and releases it as a super-high-end app or plug-in. The software would be OS X only, could be marketed as "The software Pixar used for yadda, yadda", and would only cost them as much as developing the GUI... no multi-million dollar purchase required.

Do you mean RenderMan ?

Tech Specs

Quote:

The RenderMan® Artist Tools? and RenderMan® Pro Server? 11.5 are available on the following platforms:_

RenderMan Pro Server 11.5 is supported on the following hardware and operating systems:

Intel, RedHat Linux 7.x & up

Macintosh, G4 & up

Windows, 2000 & XP_

The RenderMan Artist Tools 5.5 is supported on the following hardware and operating systems:

Intel, RedHat Linux 6.x & up

Silicon Graphics Iris, IRIX 6.5 & up (mips3)

Windows, 2000 & XP__

The RenderMan spec has been around for almost 15 years.

I remember seeing RenderMan shaders on the SGI in 1995.

If it hasn't been recompiled for the G5, it will be soon.

more details and links @ http://www.renderman.org/
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Here is a novel idea. Let Apple develop a nice GUI for the mars rovers OS and everybody could figure out how to drive those seet little cars around. And all they needed to make them fly was to add a "3-d Manuveor" check box.

Don´t know why I wrote taht but it makes just as much sense as the post I was quoting.

http://mars.telascience.org - "Maestro" rover sim software for Linux/Win/OS X (Panther only)

[edit: fixed link]
  • Reply 12 of 18
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Remember, Pixar does not own the distribution rights to any of their movies, Disney does. Also, movie sharing is not as common as music sharing. When people think of "file-sharing" it is "MP3." There is not enough bandwidth to do it yet, things are too slow to make downloading movies a reality. Maybe RENTING them, and streaming them, but even that is not a good idea. Also, you would need a lot of storage to do it. This is an idea far off

Apple will not buy Pixar, the only thing they can get out of it is software, Apple is not a movie making company, or a special effects house. It is not like Pixar is failing or anything, they just need to pick from the MANY distributors that are vying for them.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

http://mars.telescience.org - "Maestro" rover sim software for Linux/Win/OS X (Panther only)

sim is the word here

I could make a renderman sim as well and include it on the Finding Nemo DVD.

A simple box with one button. "Render and play movie". Just add a time delay before the film starts. If it was really smart it could calculate the time needed before playing the movie if it really DID the rendering. For my G4 iBook we could make it 135 years perhaps?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I would say that Apple's attitude about being in the music production/recording industry, or rather their refusal to participate at that level, says a lot about the validity of this speculation. If Apple could distribute Pixar movies, sure. But they know it's going to be a while before that's possible in their area of expertise.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Apples only advantage to buying Pixar would be Renderman and other rendering/modelling software. Which then brings on Apple acquiring Alias (SGI) and packaging Maya. Which in all cases would be awesome to have a Hollywood Studio on your desk totally from Apple, but I don't think Apple would need to buy Pixar to be able to do that.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Pixar's contract with Disney doesnt even expire until late 2005 after Cars is finished. I bet this story will drown for a while, it will pop up within the next two years as Pixar makes a deal within that time frame.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Hmmm.

QuickTime Movie Store, anyone?

That would be awesome.... But it would have to be available for broadband users only because of the file sizes...