PLEASE HELP iMac crashes

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have the iMac flat Panel 875MHz 1GBram CD-rw MAC OS 9.2.2

The system used to crash repeatedly. From the Apple service they said it was due to many fonts installed (268 fonts). They removed some and I was left with 100. For a while, things were OK but 2-3 weeks later the crashes started again and they were BAD (every few minutes). They were not application-specific since, on many occasionsI did exactly the actions before it crashes. and didn;t crash at the same points. What could be the problem?

I believe it is a hardware problem, but because the machene is in guarantee period, they dont want to accept it. Nevertheless, I am not an expert MAC user. PLEASE HLP!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    quite honestly you should try reinstalling the OS or upgrading to panther trust me, its worth it. but if you dont want to, i really dunno what to say, other than backing up everything and doing a clean isntall.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    The computer was delevered with a Restore CD.

Using panther is not possible (unless I miss something) because I use QuarkXpress 3.32. I heard from many grafics designers that there are problems running Quark under Classic

By the way, is it true that more than 128 fonts make 9.2.2 unstable? In the G4 I have (Dual 1.25, 1GBram, 120GbHd) It has the same programs, and same fonts but there is not a similar problem
  • Reply 3 of 12
    i honestly dont know very much about OS 9. i wasnt a mac user until after OS X came out, and i dont like OS 9 very much, so i dont use it. i hope someone else comes along that knows more.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by morph

I have the iMac flat Panel 875MHz 1GBram CD-rw MAC OS 9.2.2

Question: why are you running OS 9.2.2 on such a cool machine \
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dale Sorel

Question: why are you running OS 9.2.2 on such a cool machine \

I believe I did explain: QuarkXpress 4.0 DOES NOT run in OS X. only 9.2.2 and running it under classic environment makes it unstable and makes it behave weirdly (as if all the rest are going well with my MAC's but anyway)
  • Reply 6 of 12
    buy quarkxpress 6... then upgrade to panther...

BTW, I never knew Apple made an iMac that ran at 875mhz... oh wait... that's because Apple never made an iMac that did... pitty.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

buy quarkxpress 6... then upgrade to panther...

To buy QuarkXpress 6.0 OK if you send me the money (no upgrade yet from 3.32 in this part of the world. Nevertheless, why should 9.2.2 not work properly?

Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

BTW, I never knew Apple made an iMac that ran at 875mhz... oh wait... that's because Apple never made an iMac that did... pitty. [/B]

Maybe it is not 875 but it is 700 MHz (sorry for this mistake). Is that the issue? The issue is that the iMac still crashes AND 9.2.2 SHOULD work properly, as it does on other Macs (does it not?!?)

Any solution, anybody?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

To buy QuarkXpress 6.0 OK if you send me the money (no upgrade yet from 3.32 in this part of the world. Nevertheless, why should 9.2.2 not work properly?

I don't know why 9.2.2 would act up on you... I can only note that you might want to do a clean install before you conclude it is a hardware problem. What part of the world do you live? You can order it online and have it shipped to your door... Anyway, I have never liked OS9 I stick with 8.6 and don't plan to move up unless it is to OSX.

Quote:

Maybe it is not 875 but it is 700 MHz (sorry for this mistake). Is that the issue? The issue is that the iMac still crashes AND 9.2.2 SHOULD work properly, as it does on other Macs (does it not?!?)

I was pointing that out for three reasons...

One, I'm just an asshole...

Two, if you somehow overclocked your iMac, then that would be your stability problem right there. (Yeah, I know you can't get 875Mhz with the way the iMac's motherboard is setup, but one can dream...)

Three, if you post for help and add information that might help solve the problem... like your computer specs... then the information should be dead-on, or that would just defeat the purpose of posting the information in the first place.

Heat is a cause if instability... check to see if the fan is running. Also note if proper airflow is occurring.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    You suggest I try 8.6? Is it better than 9.2.2. I am quite unhappy to have to use 9.2.2. I will try 8.6, since you suggest it. 9.2.2 doesn't work properly.

(If I understand correctly, 9.2.2 generally has many problems?!?)

The fan is running but how can I check airflow? The iMac on many occasions crashes in the very first minutes of working on normal room temperature (18-20 C) So, I guess the machene is not yet hot.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

You suggest I try 8.6? Is it better than 9.2.2. I am quite unhappy to have to use 9.2.2. I will try 8.6, since you suggest it. 9.2.2 doesn't work properly.

--snip--

Please don't put words in my mouth... I never suggested that YOU should use 8.6, I said that I use it...

If you want a solid suggestion from me... which you seem to be jumping at, I suggest that you buy (or aquire) both QuarkXpress 6 and panther. That way you are using the latest software on the most stable OS Apple has to offer.

Without more information about your problem it will be very hard to help you... Telling us that it crashes at random is not giving us much to work with...

• Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

The issue is that the iMac still crashes AND 9.2.2 SHOULD work properly, as it does on other Macs (does it not?!?)

Any solution, anybody?

Actually, it should crash if you're not using a font manager. ATM Deluxe is a MUST when installing additional fonts in OS 9. ATM Deluxe makes sure only active fonts are installed. Also, it allows you to scan for corrupt fonts, which is most likely your problem. Not to mention it's just bad form to "install" fonts by dragging them to your system font folder as it puts a major drain on your available memory, particularly in OS 9.

However, Quark 4 on OS 9 sucks anyway...font manager or not. Get Quark 6 and Panther and give your iMac the stability it deserves.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The reason OS 9 is acting up is because it's an OS based on code that is, oh... ten years old. It's basically an evolution of System 7 which came out in the early 90s. OS 8.6 won't work because the lowest possible system you can install on the iMac is 9.2.2.

Yes, QuarkXPress is buggy and unstable under OS X's Classic mode, but on the other hand, EVERYTHING is buggy and unstable under OS 9. Consider the trade-off.

I guess the only advice I'd be able to give is get with the times. Why did you buy a fairly new, powerful machine if you're not willing to buy the software necessary for it to really flex its muscles? If you only want to run QuarkXPress 3, then you could have just stayed with a PowerMac 8600 or something. A computer without good software is like an iPod without music, a video game system without any games, or a book without any writing in it. The physical object is there, ready to go, but you can't actually use it for anything.

Sorry, I don't mean to be too harsh, but you really need to upgrade your software as well as your hardware, because doing just one at a time won't cut it.