People from the triangle?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    my wife's family is all in NC (Raleigh and Beaufort), and we visit there regularly (way more regularly than i enjoy... nothing against NC, just the in-laws). i'll keep this thread in mind if we head back up there anytime soon.

p.s. i still have a crazy dream to get everyone to meet at a macworld san fran someday.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Mmmmmm... Beaufort.

Beaufort, Ocracoke, Asheville. Favorite three places in the state.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    You guys don't worry, we won't TELL ANYONE that you're from the Triangle Area.

For those of you who've never spent time there, you should take a week and just go watch. It's like Seattle or something, only most of the hippies are really old. The People's Republic of Carrboro is something to see.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    *laugh* Having lived in both areas for quite some time, the Triangle ain't much like Seattle except around Carrboro and Five Points.

Okay, so some sections of Durham remind me of the Central District back home, but I avoided that area after dark too...
  • Reply 25 of 32
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Mmmmmm... Beaufort.

Beaufort, Ocracoke, Asheville. Favorite three places in the state.

I've been to Asheville once to see the Biltmore Estate. That place was HUGE.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    There's a church out near Raliegh that I thought was a SMALL COLLEGE when I first saw it! Way too much money running around that area.

• Reply 27 of 32
    Of course, many of the small colleges are run by churches, so you may have been right...
  • Reply 28 of 32
    No, no, just a church. I can't even imagine going to a church with over a thousand people. I'm sure they get all kinds of great things done, but there's no way they can be the tight community and family that a church congregation ought to be.

Boy is this ever off topic!
  • Reply 29 of 32
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    How about the Regulator in Durham on 9th street? It's the only semi-cool place in that whole town. BTW, I'll be up there on the 15th and 16th of this month, so....

edit: Cafe Driade in Chapel Hill rocks too. Way better than Strong's. I still miss Cafe Trio. I spent probably 1/3 of my waking undergrad life there (and about 1/2 of my money)
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Works for me, although it means driving to Durham on a weekend... :P

Blue Coffee is now just down 9th St. from the Regulator, and is also very good. (Okay, I'm biased, it's owned by two fellow Seattle expatriates...)

So the possible list is:

Raleigh:

Third Place

Chapel Hill:

Strong's

Cafe Driade (I'll throw this one in there - great place)

Durham:

Regulator

Blue Coffee

And, if torifile can make it up here that one weekend, that might be fun for a first meet.

Shall we say the 15th at 3pm?

Great! Now you guys pick the place. (I live 4 blocks from Third Place, so that's my pick, but I may be more mobile than some.)

Edit: *laugh* Yeah, I think Driade is excellent as well, obviously... Mmmmm... Trios Shakes....
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Well, I'm in Greensboro. Does that count?
  • Reply 32 of 32
    i used to vacation in brevard. does that count?

beautiful place though -- well before walmart came.