Major problems after Security Update

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Just installed the security update and restarted.

Since then :

Safari

software update

mac os help

launch but crash after 3 or so seconds, where i get the option to send a bug report to apple.

Ive repaired permissions, fsck'ed, and zapped pram.

HELP!! I cant figure it out. Other apps seem to be working ok

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Have you tried deleting the caches?

Explanations for this and other common fixes are available in the FAQ thread here in the Genius Bar.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    drxcmdrxcm Posts: 50member
    ive tried everything in the FAQ including clearing caches

ive even tried a new user account - same problem

there is a thread on the apple support forums with about 30 posts and similar problems

any more ideas or reports are appreciated!!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I came across this in today's (January 31) edition of MacInTouch:

Quote:

Mark Lewis describes how switching user accounts can resolve mysterious problems with Mac OS X updates:

Following installation of the latest Security Update (via Software Update), I found that Mail and Safari would not launch. I attempted to repair permissions and disk with Disk Utility and it hung upon choosing the disk in the interface. I restarted with the Panther install disk, ran Disk Utility and repaired the disk and permissions, but not much was amiss. A couple of hits in permissions and successful repairs. Nothing specifically concerning the apps in question or system files in general.

Still, no change, despite my best efforts. But I think I finally discovered the problem. My machine is set to auto-login. When I manually logged out, logged into my son's account, then logged back in, Mail, Safari and the rest started working normally again in my account. Now all is working as expected.

Are you set up for auto-login?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Problem solved.

Tried to change users etc, was not set on auto-login either.

I downloaded the security update installer again and reinstalled it. After a reboot everything was back to normal - thank goodness it was that easy.

Must have just been a corrupt installation or something...

Thanks for the ideas though, much appreciated