Best way to increase games available on the Mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple should buy a game company or create a game division in the company ala Microsoft/Bungie. Apple could make games for us and make money by making the games for consoles and then finally the Windoze crowd.

Whichever game company is bought should have at least 2 runaway hits under it's belt, have experience writing for consoles as well as Windoze and not currently writing for the Mac. The companies already writing for the Mac should be encouraged to compete (50% off hardware and reduced developer costs) to help draw gamers to the platform.

Also, Apple should consider remaking the cube as a LAN party style gaming emphasis Mac...basicly a mini G5 (1.6Ghz, whatever is the lowest on the Tower line when it's sold) w/ fast motherboard, 256MB minimum RAM, and the fastest card available on the Mac, small capacity hard drive (but fast I/O). Sell for same as low-end Tower.

I think these 2 actions would signifigantly increase the gaming presence on the Mac.

What do you guys think...should we send a petition to Apple?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    I believe the idea of Apple itself making games is a bad idea.

Apple making media software as it does today is a natural extension of Apple's existing business model. It caters to media professionals and has for twenty years. Macs have a HUGE presence in the creative market. Apple produced apps to maintain and grow that hold on this niche market.

In the gaming market, on the other hand, Apple has zero penetration. Apple would be starting from zero.

So, you have to ask yourself: is it really worth the large investment and even larger risk of trying (and quite possibly failing) at entering a new market like this? Would gamers really throw $1000+ at a box just to play a handful of games made by a company that has a reputation of making very poor gaming machines?

Gamers are not entirely a predictable bunch. They don't all use the same software as media professionals do. Media folks need just a handful of good apps like a video editor, compositor, DVD menu organizer. A perfectly good image editor is already available (Photoshop); so, Apple doesn't need to make that.

Gamers have a wide variety of tastes. They need variety. Can you really expect Apple to put out enough different titles to provide good a enough selection for gamers?

I just can't see it being a feasible business model.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Perhaps Apple should do more to extend the features, ease of use and speed of OpenGL? Try and revive that in the public space so it's viable again.

Just a thought.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Best way Apple could help make the Mac a better gaming platform is to provide assistance to curb piracy. MacGamer has a great interview with Peter Tamte, who has been Mac Gaming God? for a while now. There are a bunch of games that they just don't bring to market because of the piracy issue. It's stealing, it's wrong, and it's killing the Mac gaming market.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    iPlay gaming store lol
  • Reply 5 of 30
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

iPlay gaming store lol

not a bad idea
  • Reply 6 of 30
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Bundle a GameCube with every mac purchase.

On another note: gamers seem to think they make a platform. They don't. They buy their parts and put them together, pirate their OS and go from there. There's no money to be made off of them. Just a bunch of self-important tightwads. Let someone else cater to them.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I wish Apple had bought Bungie before MSFT did...
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Bundle a GameCube with every mac purchase.

On another note: gamers seem to think they make a platform. They don't. They buy their parts and put them together, pirate their OS and go from there. There's no money to be made off of them. Just a bunch of self-important tightwads. Let someone else cater to them.

[B] Gamers and games influence mindshare:

1) By how many software titles take up store shelves, aqppearing that Windows has far greater number of software titles available and joe sixpack cares about appearances.

2) People who buy computers either are gamers or have kids that play games, if there are far fewer and less recent games available, Macs won't be on their radar.

Money could be made by selling games the way a company like Aspyr or Bungie or Blizzard does, sell titles to multiple platforms, the difference is Apple would have them make the Mac an equal priority. Even if Apple only bought controling interest in a couple of companies to make them port their games over simultaneously would help things considerably.

This would help marketshare...which while not everything IS something.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    For those who said "None of the Above" in the poll above, please put your suggestion(s) as to what would accelerate the number and timeliness of games available to Mac users.

And even if you don't play games...which I don't nearly as often (even w/ my PS2), they still influence the average computer buyer and with more people buying Macs, the more things will be availbel for all Mac users.

The current state of games availble on the Mac, while better than 1997 is still laughable.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    in case no one noticed, nintendo is doing so well.... ps2 and xbox seem to have a lot more users. but then again, partnering with MS and Sony isnt a good option...

anyways, i say dish out some g5's to software developers...
  • Reply 11 of 30
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    I must agree with ipodandimac. Dish out some free computers to us developers!!! It would be nice to get a free or heavily discounted mac. Would make compile times drop like a rock...
  • Reply 12 of 30
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Market share. It's got to be the primary factor stopping Macs from getting games.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Market share. It's got to be the primary factor stopping Macs from getting games.

It doesn't help, but the link I posted above Tamte talks about how more people stole Halo then bought it and that they would be able to bring more games to market if piracy wasn't such a big issue. We would have dozens of more games and release times that were closer to the PC version if there was more money to pay staff. More market share helps, but if 10% of people that stole games paid for it we would have a tremendous explosion games.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    tfworld,

Would getting free hardware and developer package DEFINITELY be incentive to make all your games available on the Mac? Would you as a developer agree to make all of your game software available on the Mac at the same time (within 3 months) of the PC version? If so, then it's a good idea for Apple to do.

ipodandimac,

The reason I suggested GameCube is because it uses a PPC chip and they would have more incentive to work with Apple to increase both platform's marketshare.

Again the goal is to increase the number of games available to Mac buyers/users to increase marketshare...so any ideas to make that happen besides what has been listed above?
  • Reply 15 of 30
    It has to be piracy, by far. While market share is an obvious factor, in the end, if a major game studio thinks that it can make money by letting it's titles come to the Mac, it will do so. And a game release won't make any money if it's been pirated up and down the Internet.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    HOM and rampancy -

About piracy vs. marketshare: True enough, but the only solution I see to that is making the Mac more pirate-proof for games than PCs, and I think that would be an abject disaster for the Mac.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I put "none of the above".

If you want more games, buy the games there are. There is not some awful conspiracy to deprive Mac users of games - in fact, in some large game houses, Macs are used to design significant parts of the games! Publishers encourage game companies to use Windows-specific libraries because it's the quickest and most cost-efficient way to target the Windows market, which is the only sure thing for them. All the porting houses can get around this obstacle; they've been translating DirectX calls for years (Westlake has almost completely reverse-engineered it in house). They just have to be paid to, and the publishers won't pay for a Mac port until they a) get enough sales from the Windows release to pay for the risk, and b) project enough Mac sales to pay for the risk. If the *Mac* market becomes a sure thing, publishers will ask game developers to use cross-platform libraries to whatever extent makes it most economical to target both.

If Apple became a game publisher, they'd be in the same position.

The most significant variable here is the Mac market for games. Publishers have the numbers on the size of the market, and that's what they're acting on. You want more games? Buy the games there are. Enlarge the market. Reduce the risk. The games will come.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Well, at least Blizzard doesn't seem to have a problem developing Mac versions of their games that are actually released at the SAME time as the PC versions.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Blizzard has always had strong sales on the Mac side, which helps. They have a history with the Mac.

id Software releases Mac (and Linux) versions because they believe it's "the right thing to do."

I think that's great, of course. But the more attractive the Mac market is in terms of sales, the more publishers will provide games, and the sooner they'll arrive.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Blizzard's games irritate me because they do not make efficient use of the Mac's hardware--compared to MacSoft or Aspyr, anyways.