The Reinvention of Apple Computer

Comments

• Reply 21 of 152
    Of all the information that I have seeen come my way over the 25 years of following technology, this just might take the cake on rationality. Not that I believe that all this might come true. An example would be the quad 3u XServe, that takes up more room than 3 1u XServe's and has less power. Now an 8-way 3u XServe would make sence if they could not make a 1u cluster node with 4 G5's in it. SMP is the way of the future on all levels of computing. Apple is going to be a huge player in the supercomputer arena for the foreseeable future. Now a PM that had quad processor's would be logical, if the chips are cheap enough, and Apple and IBM are working hard at this.

What I see in the opening two post is either the biggest leak of actual information out of Apple, or the most well thought out guess I have ever read.
  • Reply 22 of 152
    Quote:

What I see in the opening two post is either the biggest leak of actual information out of Apple, or the most well thought out guess I have ever read.

No kidding.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 23 of 152
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    [list=1][*]I think all the hardware updates would be plausible/possible. I've thought for a while now that the G5 towers will go all dual.[*]No Apple computer will have more than two processors in one unit. That's the whole reason for developing the XServe Cluster Node system. If you need more processors, you just add them on. If an 8-processor XServe is in a lab somewhere, I don't think it'll ever see the light of day.[*]I think the assertions concerning the iTMS and iPod are WAY off base. If the other things come to pass, they will only be in ADDITION to the iPod/iTMS success.[*]Apple Computer buying Apple Records? Maybe, but I think it would be only to end any pending litigation and have exclusive rights to the Beatles on the iTMS. Apple knows they must keep the good faith they've established with the rest of the industry, and they won't jeopardize that.[*]Apple buying Pixar? I think it's plausible. Apple has shown that they can do a lot of cool stuff with advertising/marketing. I see Apple buying Pixar for the purpose of then joining up with a film distributor to keep Pixar's films going and Apple gets the profits from it.[/list=1]
  • Reply 24 of 152
    Looks like the Pepsi and iPod mini products and promotions are going to tide us over the first week in February (that seems to be the focus at the moment...) with a Powermac announcement likely to follow in the week or so after.

Powermacs at upto dual 2.6 would be okay. But the hint above of much improved internals sounds nice. That keeps PowerMacs on the edge. Ati are due for a next gen' video card circa April? So it would be nice if the Rev B Powermacs coincided with a new Ati card. If PowerMacs don't come until March...then I wonder if there is an increasingly likelyhood of dual 3 gigs being launched? IF it's Feb and we only get 2.6 then I guess the 3 gigger will come by September?

For me, I'm quite excited by the idea of the iMac going 'Cube' form factor. Effectively making a two-tier tower line. I think that's a great idea if it comes to pass. Hopefully with upgradeable graphics card options. If it looks anything like as gorgeous as the original Cube then I'll find it hard to resist this time...

I wonder what Apple will do with the eMac design. Get cheaper if the 'new new iMac' reaches $999. But the design could do with shedding a few pounds and slimming down somewhat. An AIO 17/15 inch LCD design without the expensive chrome arm would be the way to go for me... There are rumours of the 17 inch LCD being dropped from Apple's line of monitors... eMac. It's not Ive's best work.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 25 of 152
    Quote:

Apple buying Pixar? I think it's plausible. Apple has shown that they can do a lot of cool stuff with advertising/marketing. I see Apple buying Pixar for the purpose of then joining up with a film distributor to keep Pixar's films going and Apple gets the profits from it.

Apple's computers could get exclusive Pixar content/games etc that could drive sales.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 26 of 152
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

[list=1]

Apple buying Pixar? I think it's plausible. Apple has shown that they can do a lot of cool stuff with advertising/marketing. I see Apple buying Pixar for the purpose of then joining up with a film distributor to keep Pixar's films going and Apple gets the profits from it.[/list=1]

Well, I think this is almost obvious thing to happen. So obvious that there was already some speculation on this topic in Finland's main newspaper Helsingin sanomat (= sure sign something is "old news" :-).

---

I've seen so many posts/rumors about Apple's releases at 2004 that I'm almost sick of reading them (and of course I still have to read them... :-)), but this one REALLY blew my mind. Wow! If this is true, I really have to buy some Apple's shares -- if not, this is really great and wellthought fiction! Thank you!
  • Reply 27 of 152
    shawkshawk Posts: 116member
    There has been talk of Steve Jobs replacing Michael Eisner at Disney.

Plugging Disney into the Apple Computer/Pixar/Apple Records/IBM equation could make for interesting speculation.

With both Microsoft and Intel having significant technical problems with Longhorn/64bit migration/virii, there is an opportunity for Apple here.

Of course, given the lax oversight, Microsoft could launch a hostile take over of Apple, Pixar and Disney.
  • Reply 28 of 152
    Quote:

Of course, given the lax oversight, Microsoft could launch a hostile take over of Apple, Pixar and Disney.

Hmm, I don't think so...wait...I think I hear the DOJ right outside...
  • Reply 29 of 152
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Looks like the Pepsi and iPod mini products and promotions are going to tide us over the first week in February (that seems to be the focus at the moment...) with a Powermac announcement likely to follow in the week or so after.

ahhhhh. it feels so good to have predicted that new 90nm XServe and PowerMacs will come in the second half of february - though no one wanted to believe me
  • Reply 30 of 152
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Hmm, I don't think so...wait...I think I hear the DOJ right outside...

What are they here for, to lick Bill's boots?
  • Reply 31 of 152
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    There is no NEED for Apple to Purchase Pixar, or Disney for that matter. They are entertainment companies, not computer/software/hardware companies (except for Pixar which makes software already available on Mac OS X). It will not happen. I guarantee 500 AI Credits on it.

This would be like McDonald's purchasing Aamco.
  • Reply 32 of 152
    More like Texas Instruments buying a textbook company.
  • Reply 33 of 152
    I wouldn't have considered the Pixar purchase to be anything but silly, wishful thinking until this Disney breakup. Seems MORE of a possibility now, but still not sure.

Most of the hardware predictions seemed very reasonable and not terribly shocking. The iPod/iTMS/DRM angle is probably right on the mark. This is why Apple is so aggresively trying to dominate this market right now...and also why they are NOT (and won't be) supporting WMA.

In general Apple IS trying to transform itself into a more diversified entity. This is a good thing. More consumer electronics seem likely to me than a venture into the media world (Pixar and Apple Corps.) Possible, but seems unlikely. This does sound somewhat reminicsent of the "Apples buys Universal Music" rumors about a year ago.
  • Reply 34 of 152
    Well, Krassy, if you said mid to late Feb' and it comes true..? Feather in yer cap.

Personally, I'm surprised it will have taken that long to roll out 2004 Macs.

Heh. I was expecting the whole line up to be updated by late Jan'.

Guess I was overly optimistic...

Lemon Bon Bon

I suppose if X-Serves aren't shipping to early Feb' then I guess it comes as no surprise that PowerMacs will wait until around then. Give or take.
  • Reply 35 of 152
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    I read this last night before heading to bed and didnt want to say anything. Now that other have, I will too!

This is either a good fabrication or the truth I can see some of this coming to frutation, but not all of it. Who knows what will happen though? No one here, that is for sure
  • Reply 36 of 152
    tak1108tak1108 Posts: 222member
    This seems way to "just made up for me" First of all, 1.6, or 1.8 G4s? Come on. We all know the G4 is dead. Unless, the IBM G3 with altivec is the 1.6 G4 you're talking about, this will NOT happen. Is there some magic that happened when Motorola spun of the semiconductor unit, that made it possible to not only make a 1.6 or 1.6 G4, but make them in sufficient quanity? No there isn't. Mot. spun off the semiconductor unit, and the mot G4 will die soon.

Quad Xserves? 8 processors? You're kidding right? This has been wished for, for a long long time and has always been "rumored". Now, if they are "in the lab" then I do believe with your sentiment that they won't be released.

EDIT: I would expect that with everything involved in a 4 or 8 processor Xserve, it would be cheaper to manufacture and sell 2 or 4 dual processor Xserves, thus making money for apple. I do not see 4 or 8 processor Xserves. Xserves are 1u and that's they way they will stay.

The new new iMac. Sounds just like a cube! yes, the same cube that several of us have been wanting for a long time. yes a cube with a 17" widescreen display. Just what I've wanted for a long long time.

This just seems like dreaming to me.
  • Reply 37 of 152
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Hrmm....

Quote:

Originally posted by Faeylyn on 10-07-2002 03:43 AM

Apple's rumor squashing department is in high gear, it seems. I'm surprised they've been able to keep so many secrets. They really do have some mucho cool stuff in the works.

But there will always be ways to get people to talk. Everybody has a price.

iCam? Yes, Apple will be coming out with an "iCam", in spite of what many of "experts" claim. No, it won't be called iCam. And the 20GB Toshiba drive, while certainly very nice, won't be the killer feature. The one feature I'm willing to share is this:

http://www.foveon.com/

<snip>

After the initial introduction, nothing. That's because Apple pounced on this technology faster than Rosie on an unguarded donut.

And I'm hear Steve thinks it would be nice for Apple's bottom-line if this came out in time for the Christmas buying season.

Check out the entire thread.

So, how much did you pay for that sweet little tidbit
  • Reply 38 of 152
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Well, Krassy, if you said mid to late Feb' and it comes true..? Feather in yer cap.

thank ya :-) i think it will come true...

Quote:

I suppose if X-Serves aren't shipping to early Feb' then I guess it comes as no surprise that PowerMacs will wait until around then. Give or take.

i think they won't ship in the first two weeks of february. the shipping timeframes on new XServes immediately after the macworld shows 6-8 weeks -> end of february.
  • Reply 39 of 152
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Could be plausable. Only thing I'm doubtful about is 1.8Ghz G4s in Powerbooks.

We dont know what IBM has in their labs. All we know is that they have done a LOT better work than Moto bringing out faster CPU's, so why not?

Quote:

Originally posted by Krassy

apple will contract every apple-customer automatically and will offer them to sell self-composed garage-band/logic-produced songs over the iTMS. the payment will take place over the .mac-service! profits 50:50 -> how 'bout that?

Hehe... Actually a great idea!

Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Interesting stuff, though nobody has that much inside information unless they are marketing or product managers. Thanks for the good read though.

Well.. For one, I think some of it are true, the rest are just wishes.

Quote:

Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown

Not to mention that the only people with access to this kind of info would be high level Apple execs who are certainly not about to blow their stock portfolios leaking it on AI.

Well.... Most people should be smart enough not to believe in rumor sites, and a little rumor monging should'nt blow the stock down in one shot..

Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

As noted above, I only think some of it is true.
  • Reply 40 of 152
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    I wonder if the poster is the same Faeylyn who used to post at Macrumors.com. See for example:

Faeylyn Name Used Here